We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torrey to Zion - should we go via Kolob Canyon?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Torrey to Zion - should we go via Kolob Canyon?

Hi, In September from Torrey we'll be driving to Zion(with stops etc on route)where we'll have the remainder of the day plus the following full day. We'll stay the 2 nights in Springdale or Hurricane. We spent one day in Zion 5 years ago just doing the short walks from the shuttl, along with the angels landing hike (only to scout lookout!) This time as well as revisiting that area again, we fancy doing the Kolob Terrace road for the views.I think it's a one hour drive one-way from Springdale? On our journey to Zion, I was wondering if we turn off highway 12 at Long Valley junction and head to I15, we could visit the Kolob Canyon viewpoint. Would this take a lot longer than just carrying on the 89 and then turning on to the 9? Is it worth the detour? I'd read about a trail called Northgate Peaks if we have a couple of hours spare. Thanks for any help to make the most of our short time here. We're both fit and active but I know it'll be hot!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torrey to Zion - should we go via Kolob Canyon?

You can drive over hwy 14 to I-15 then down to the Kolob Canyons section of the park.If you have never entered Zion from the east side, then going 89 to 9 into the park is a pretty spectacular entry point, that should not be missed.

If you go hwy 14, you might as well see Cedar Breaks too. It might be a little underwhelming after just coming from Bryce,(you are taking hwy 12 from Torrey to Bryce?) but its still very pretty.And the drive to the top of Brian Head peak nearby is fun too.

Northgate Peaks is off of Kolob Terrace Road, up the hill from Virgin. While you are up there be sure to go to Lava Point for the views also.Depending on what you are driving,and the road conditions, there is a fun loop that starts west of Virgin on Mesa Road.It goes to the rocket sled site, over thru the grasslands where the sunset Jeep tours go and ends up at Kolob Terrace Road. You can also access Kolob Terrace road via dirt from Hwy 14.

Here are pics of the Smith Mesa loop road.The sand is over at Coral Pink by the way.

https:/…CoralPinkSmithMesa

Edited: 19 May 2012, 23:51
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torrey to Zion - should we go via Kolob Canyon?

In case you didn't pick it up there are really two different areas with Kolob names. The Kolob Terrace Road from Virgin just west of Springdale and the Kolob Fingers /Canyon area just off I-15 a little south of Cedar City.

I have never taken the road south from 14 to the Kolob Terrace, but it is dirt and from what I have heard there are portions where a 4x4 might be needed. So I'm not sure that would be your best bet. (dez haven't you taken it all the way?)

I would definitely recommend the road north from Virgin to Northgate Peaks and Lava Point. Though obviously it won't be on your way Zion.

3. Re: Torrey to Zion - should we go via Kolob Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:40