We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to see Zion quickly...

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to see Zion quickly...

Will be going by Zion and would like a quick look to see if i should return in the future. Would riding the shuttle the shuttle system be a good idea, I heard it takes about an hour and a half.

Thanks

rodney

rpreisch@ccps.org

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,403 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

You just answered your own question.

If you only have 1.5 hours, thats probably the best way to do it.

If you have another hour to spare, go outside the tunnel and do Canyon Overlook.

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

What does this mean: go outside the tunnel and do Canyon Overlook.

thanks

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,403 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

Just east of the Zion Tunnel on Hwy 9 is the Canyon Overlook Trail.Parking on the right, just as you exit the tunnel. Its probably the easiest way to see Zion from above without having a long hike out of the canyon.The trail starts behind the ranger shack.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

There are three distinct regions of Zion NP. The main canyon is the top attraction, East Zion (beyond the tunnel) is equally as dramatic but completely different, and the Kolob region can only be accessed by a separate entrance to the north and west off I-15.

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

How long does it take to hike the Canyon overlook trail. Should i do this the shuttle or both this trip?

thanks for your help

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,403 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

Canyon Overlook is a mile round trip. Allow about an hour.

You should try and do both. The east side of the park out past the tunnel is so different than the main canyon.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

Depending on where you are going to and coming from, it is possible to take a drive through Kolob Canyons on I 15. If travelling Hwy 9, you will see the canyon ascending from Springdale up to East Zion/plateau area/Mt Carmel. Canyon Overlook is a hike as said, and is something that you would do on a future visit which I am sure you will want.Canyon overlook has a view over the Canyon that Hwy 9 just brought you through. The Main Canyon as said is the main attraction. There is also the Kolob Terrace road from Virgin up to Lava Point, but doesn't highlight what the Canyons would.

Please note that these four routes are radically different from each other. Your original thought to take the shuttle is the better option, and gives you the best of Zion in most people's opinions. Try to make it to the end at the Temple of Sinawava

nps.gov/zion/…HikingGuide.pdf

maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

Thank you.

How long is the shuttle? Do i get off at each stop??

Thanks

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/shuttle-system.htm

A round trip by shuttle takes about 90 minutes minimum. It is hard to say if and where you should get off as we do not know exactly what will grab your attention.

You could stop at the lodge, take a look around

The Temple of Sinawava/Riverside walk is the gateway to one of Zion's signature hikes the Narrows

Big Bend will allow you to look up at the people climbing one of Zions other signature hikes Angel's Landing

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to see Zion quickly...

You don't give much info and I was kind of waiting to see if you'd give more... like what direction you'll be traveling and where you are going next, and how much time do you have.

So I will assume you will be coming from the southwest (LV? StGeorge?) and going back that direction as well. And coming during shuttle season.

The Park gives a 3 hr visit as the minimum. I think that is too short, but it would allow you to get an idea of what the park is about.

1)Drive to the Visitor Center, park and take a look at the relief map out front.

2) Then get on the shuttle. Take it all the way to the end of the road. One reason I say that is so you can hear the whole story about the park, and also so you can get a feel for everything that is there.

3) Get out at Temple of Sinewava and walk along the Riverside Walk. It is a mile to the end where the Narrows hike starts. It is a great hike as well, fairly level and should be easy. If this is all you have time for then you will have had a great first visit, get back on the shuttle and head on out.

4)However if you have more time then get out at every stop--a)Big Bend for views of the Great White Throne and Angel's Landing, should be able to take the next shuttle. Then b)Weeping Rock, walk up the short and steep hike and walk behind the wall of dripping water. Then comes the c)Grotto stop. This is where the West Rim trail to Angel's Landing starts as well as one end of the Kayenta trail. If you have enough time for another hike get out here and hike the Kayenta to Emerald Pools. Otherwise stay on the shuttle and get out at the d) Lodge. Take a look around. Buy an ice cream, watch the deer, or turkeys, walk across the bridge etc. Then shuttle to e)Court of the Patriarchs for the short hike up for a good look. Should be able to get on next shuttle. Don't get off at Junction but do get out at the f)History Museum. Two things here, both the museum which is great and a good look out back at the Temples of the Virgin- looks great in the morning light.

5) then shuttle back to the car and you are done. If you only do one hike then plan about 3 hrs for the main canyon tour. If you don't do any hike then maybe 2.

6) If you still have time ( or are driving that way anyway), then take hwy 9 east to the east entrance. Add maybe half an hour for the drive and another hour if you take the canyon overlook trail.

That is the basic Zion visit and unfortunately is what too many people think Zion is. There is so much more, but that would take more time

Edited: 10 June 2012, 00:55