We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah and Grand Canyon

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Utah and Grand Canyon

I'm planning to drive from Portland to Utah, from Utah I would like to spend the newyear eve at Grand Canyon. appreciate some high level ideas on how to plan this itinerary.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Well, how much time do you have for the trip?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Book your NYE reservation at GCNP South Rim RIGHT NOW.

Call 888-297-2757.

Dates like that book a full year in advance.

Once you have that date booked, the tell us how much time you have, and where you think you want to go.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

I am planning for 10 days not counting the driving days. I hae visited GC before, but this time want to hike down to the river (south Kaibab trail). And spend a day or two doing the regular tourist stuff.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,487 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Would it be correct to assume that you want to make a few stops in Utah in those ten days? Zion would be a good choice. Bryce will be an option as well, but colder. Venturing farther into Arizona would be warmer than GC, say to Sedona for a couple of days.Page/Lake Powell would also be a good addition if you want to make a loop through Utah.

For ideas on a Grand Canyon specific itinerary, post into the Arizona/GC forum.

Have fun planning

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

10 days is a good amount of time. Here's a link to a travel article that provides a good planning overview for touring southern UT and nothern AZ:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Since you are coming in the winter, you will have to pay close attention to the weather, particularly areas at higher elevations like Byrce Canyon and the Grand Canyon. I have not visited in the winter, but I hear it can be a wonderful experience.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

If you intend to get to Phantom Ranch at the GCNP you need to check to see if there are any bunks available. Expect to find it sold out. Next option is camping. You'll need to apply for the permit on the first of the month, four months out. Check the website for details and be prepared to stand by the fax machine to redial for a few hours. Then hope that you win the lottery.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Thanks folks, yes I will be applying for backcountry permit in the Grand Canyon. Now with Utah, are Zion and Bryce national parks must see in Utah? so cn I add sedona to the mix, I hear Sedona is much beautiful than GC.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Both Zion and Bryce are in the major league of National Parks. Don't miss them.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,487 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Zion, Bryce, GCNP, and Sedona are all places worth visiting. Each have their own set of characteristics that set them apart from the others.All are worthy of a couple of days, though Bryce can be seen in the least amount of time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Utah and Grand Canyon

Agreeing. All are desirable destinations. Winter can be harshest at Bryce, but seeing the canyon in snow is magical. You'll need at least a night and most of a day there. Zion deserves a few more days. Sedona is the most distant for you, but if you have the time,it's only two hours beyond GCNP south rim, and worthy of most of a week. 3 days and nights is a minimum for Sedona.