We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

Hello all,

Here is ZNP's Hiking Guide: nps.gov/zion/…HikingGuide.pdf

I'm not a hiker but I do keep fit so I plan on spending the whole day I'm in Zion hiking some of these trails. Thing is, though, I don't have a pair of hiking boots. Do some of these trails demand hiking boots or will my Asics do me fine?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

Your Asics are fine!

BUT

They get dirty and it is best to have backup shoes on the trip. I have hiked extensively in just tennis shoes (top of Half Dome in Yosemite twice) with no problems!

I highly recommend MEN'S ULTRA 106 GTX XCR® SHOE which I purchased from a US outdoor dealer REI for around $115 USD. The GTX is for Goretex and the ULTRA is for super lightweight. The darker color helps "disguise" the dirt.

They are not clunky high ankle hiking boots (which I have never understood the attraction). But rather sleek almost running shoes. I even wear them around town while shopping and doing neighborhood walks. They are just great and I am "unfortunately" very difficult to please.

My opinion, your choice!

Edited: 16 June 2012, 02:49
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

thanks for the feedback man :)

TBH I don't care if they get dirty, I was just worried they mightn't have the grip or the ankle support needed for more strenuous climbs.

I've looked at videos of the Angels Landing, a trail ZNP classifies as 'Strenuous', and it looks like my Asics will do the job so I guess it'll do the job for whichever trails I chose (although if I do the Narrows I'll prob rent those special shoes so my trainers don't get COMPLETELY wrecked).

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

People do Angel's Landing is all sorts of footwear, we saw someone barefoot last time I was there. I am not familiar with asics, so can't say specifically, but if they are comfortable they will probably be fine.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

'someone barefoot',...sounds foolish to me.

A pair of shoes with soft and pliable grips, closed toes, and decent lacings would be what you need. Last thing you need to worry about climbing Angel's landing is a shoe falling off.

Spending many hours on hard surfaces , up and down inclines, is grueling on your feet. Therefore a good durable shoe is needed. If your Asics fit these requirements, then they should be fine.

There are three different outfitters in Springdale that will rent you the basic narrows hiking package if you decide on that route.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

Thanks for the replies guys. Will probably spend just one fully day in Zion so now just have to decide which hike(s) to do :)

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

If your fit, I highly recommend Observation Point Trail, you get a view of Zion, a slot canyon and a cliff edge all in one trail. It's a long hike on a smooth concrete path but worth it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

Thanks for the recommendation Xeena, I've heard Observation Point is a top trail, will definitely consider it.

8. Re: Could I do all these hikes in Asics running shoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:16