We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day at Zion w 4 yo & 6 yo, what is best to see and do?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
One day at Zion w 4 yo & 6 yo, what is best to see and do?

We have one full day at Zion with our 4 & 6 y/o. What trails should we do that would be easy for these ages?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,975 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day at Zion w 4 yo & 6 yo, what is best to see and do?

Maybe try lower Emerald pool trail across from the lodge,or the Riverside walk along the river to the start of the Narrows. That trail is pretty flat and paved.The Pa Rus trail is easy,flat and paved

The Canyon Overlook trail is just east of the tunnel if you drive out that way.Its one of the easiest ways to see Zion from above without a steep hike out of the canyon.There are some dropoffs, but there are guardrails.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day at Zion w 4 yo & 6 yo, what is best to see and do?

I'd do the Riverwalk if you're going in the summer and let them play in the river. It's a beautiful setting. If the river's running low you can venture a little ways up into the Narrows. It's just a hike up the river (in the water) and turn around and come back anyway so no problem just going a short way and turning around. It's really gorgeous and the river is cold no matter how hot the air temp is. Very refreshing and better chances for less whining.

I would not be comfortable with Canyon Overlook with a 4 yr old personally. I nearly had an anxiety attack on it with my 7 yr old although she was fine. There are drop-offs, though and I'm not sure 4 yr olds have great judgment about these things. If you've got a cautious kid who will stay right with you it might be fine, but I would not have wanted my kids at 4 to do that trail.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 04:06
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day at Zion w 4 yo & 6 yo, what is best to see and do?

Riverside Trial and Lower Emerald Pool. Both easy hikes and relatively safe (more like a stroll). At the end of Riverside is the Narrows. There was no way I would have been able to keep my 6 year old from walking up the river! I would advise you put them in tennis shoes. Do Emerald Pool first and then Riverside. Keep the tennies and socks on in the river. After you get out of the river, put them in flip flops for the walk back down Riverside trial.

4. Re: One day at Zion w 4 yo & 6 yo, what is best to see and do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 21:15