We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah Arizona in November

Scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Utah Arizona in November

We, two active 60 year olds from Scotland, are visiting Las Vegus for 6 days at the start of November and then hiring a car for 14 days to tour Utah and Arizona. Our route is not yet determined but we plan to take in Zion and Monument Valley before heading to Flagstaff and Phoenix. Any advice on routes and driving distances and times would be welcome. Also advice on likely road conditions and general temperatures or weather would also be helpful eg. might we expect snow on some routes? We prsume that accommodation will be no problem in November and plan to stop as and when we feel like it.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,256 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah Arizona in November

What a wonderful tour you have to look forward to.

Here's a rough plan to get you started. I am sure we can put some flesh on these bare bones. The weather should still be fine although there could be snow at Bryce. I see you haven't mentioned the Grand Canyon. I have put that in and left out Phoenix as the former is on the way and the later isn't unless you wanted some late autumn sun to end your holiday.

Day 1: LV to Zion via Valley of Fire SP. Stay at either the Lodge in The Park (worth booking or in nearby Springdale.

Day 2: Zion

Day 3: Zion to Bryce. The Lodge in the Park will be shut. There is the less than exciting Ruby's close to the Park entrance and some basic motels and nicer sounding B&B's in Tropic & Panguitch.

Day 4: Bryce Canyon

Day 5: Highway 12. One of the great US drives. Overnight Torrey

Day 6: On to Moab

Days 7&8: Moab visiting Arches & Canyonlands

Days 9: South to Monument Valley via Natural Bridges and The Moki Dugway. Overnight at Gouldings Lodge which is worth booking.

Day 10: Monument Valley tour in morning then on to Grand Canyon for sunset.

Day 11: At the Grand Canyon.

Day 12: South to Flagstaff and Sedona.

Day 13: Amongst the red rocks of Sedona.

Day 14: Return to LV possibly via The Hoover Dam.

You could build in some downtime at places like Moab and Sedona, all the drives are doable in a day and would allow you time to stop and admire some of the most magnificent scenery on the planet. I find Rand McNally useful when planning routes but you should certainly invest (if you haven't already) in a good guide book and map.

Hope that gets you started and please don't hesitate to ask again should you need more information or if indeed you would prefer to head further south to Phoenix and need some route revision.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah Arizona in November

Adam has given you the best route and I only can add some details:

Buy a National Parks Pass at the entrance of Zion at $ 50,--. All NP's entrance fees are now included.

Buy a good travelbook. I always use Lonely Planet and Moon, but there are lots of other good books too.

Buy Rand McNally Road Atlas, our guide for over 20 years.

From Las Vegas you can make a daytrip to Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Red Rock Canyon and Death Valley. There are guided tours from LV, or go by your own. DV is not to be missed!

Ask hotelstaff or visit the Las Vegas AAA office for information and free maps.

Day 9: Add a visit to Gooseneck State Park

close to Moki Dugway and look for the "Hat" in Mexican Hat. Stop at a parkinglot between Mexican Hat and Monument Valley. You've been here before!! (you will think).

Day 12: Drive from GC to Cameron and south hw 89 to Wupatki NM, Sunset Crater NM and Walnut Canyon NM. All little gems to visit.

Day 14: From Sedona to LV take I 40 west. Take old route 66 at Seligman and visit Peach Springs and Oatman to Bullhead City. Take

Davis Dam to hw 95 north to LV instead the shortes way along hw 93.

Tet

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah Arizona in November

I like Adam's itinerary but you are going to have to be flexible, November is defintely winter here! Highway 12 and Bryce can get plenty of snow in November but may have none at all, it will be cold...

In the small places, like Panguitch and Torrey, most of the hotels close for the winter, I think only one is open in Torrey for instance, sorry can't remember which one. Reservations will not be needed, very few tourists at that time of year.

Bob Palin

killer@bobpalin.com

Scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah Arizona in November

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I do not known if my last note went to Tripadvisor or off into the ether. I omitted the Grand Canyon from my schedule as we "did it" along with Lake Meade and the Hoover Dam a couple of years ago. We do fancy some late autumn sunshine down Arizona way and wonder if 8 days touring through the canyon country at Zion-Monument Valley before heading for Flagstaff and Sonora would be sufficient time to take in the main geological sights and vistas. We do not plan doing any long distance trekking this holiday, maybe a couple of miles at any one time.

Staying in Scotland here can be pretty bleak and miserable at times (even snow in April this year). Thanks for the advice.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah Arizona in November

The Best Western Capitol Reef resort in Torrey still will be open in november. Rates between $ 80,-- and $ 90,--. Ask for a AAA discount.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,256 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah Arizona in November

Okay, I fully understand. It was cold enough here in Watford yesterday to make me pine for the warmth of Scottsdale.

You could just lose one night at Bryce by touring the Park in the afternoon of day 3 and then heading off east on the morning of Day 4 but otherwise try this -

Day 9: Do the tour of Monument Valley in the afternoon.

Day 10: Monument Valley to Sedona via Wupatki, Sunset Crater and Flagstaff. Flagstaff itself will be a lot colder than Sedona so I would head on into Sedona for more warmth.

Day 11: Sedona

Day 12: South via Jerome & Prescott to Phoenix/Scottsdale

Day 13: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Day 14: Back to LV via Wickenburg & Kingman. It's a 300 mile journey but on wide roads.

If you lost the night at Bryce you could add it on in either Sedona or Phoenix.

How does that sound?

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Utah Arizona in November

Hi

Good stuff from Adam, I'm with him on this one. I too miss the warmth of Arizona!

Tony