We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion. Cant wait.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Zion. Cant wait.

Done a few amazing American West drives over recent years both solo and with family, but last year was the first time i ever did Zion.

Last year i was going with my brother for a 2 week Grand Circle and he let me down 2 weeks before so i had to go solo. Turned out to be 2 of the most amazing weeks of my life.

Zion has instantly become my favourite. I went in November and caught some magnificent fall colours. Hiked Angels Landing and Observation Point on consecutive days and would have done them again the next two if i had time. I just wish we had places here in the UK a few hours away from home that we could drive to like this.

I always knew i had to come back. So back again in less than a month and bringing my mom. Ive mentioned it so much that she said she wants to come. Scouts Lookout will be her limit but she's heard alot (probably too much) about A.L. She will miss out on O.P thou.

Ive actually saved all my work holidays to go on this trip that will also include D.V, Yosemite and PCH to S.Fran, all of which ive never been to before. Also doing G.C North Rim for the first time although done south 4 times.

Ive heard alot about comparing Zion to Yosemite and actually get to experience both this time.

I feel like a kid.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion. Cant wait.

Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned.

Tioga Pass Road out of Yosemite is such a nice route. That entire drive down the eastern Sierra is very pretty, and then you cut across the vastness of Death Valley. Nothing better! The picture near my TA name is in DV.

I got my 75 year old mother up to Scouts Lookout on one of my trips.Took a while, but she really enjoyed the views from up there.Hope you mom enjoys that hike as much as mine did.

There is a back way into Observation Point that's pretty easy. Finding the dirt road to the trailhead is probably the hardest part.

Have fun!

Edited: 07 September 2012, 19:41
Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion. Cant wait.

You've got a wonderful trip planned.

Zion (as you already know) and Yosemite are each spectacular, but entirely different geology from one another so you'll appreciate both for their own experience.

You and your Mom will have great memories from this trip and we all look forward to your TR.

Happy Trails

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion. Cant wait.

So glad you were able to come again. It will be a different experience but hopefully equally satisfying

Usk, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion. Cant wait.

". I just wish we had places here in the UK a few hours away from home that we could drive to like this.:

I live in the US and wish I had a place like that a couple hours drive from my house too. Most Americans don't live anywhere near Zion, the GC or Yosemite, of course.

I wish lived out in Southern Utah.

The UK has some nice areas like Snowdonia and the Lake District that are more easily accessed than places I can go to in Illinois . They are different than Southern Utah or Arizona, but seem like nice places.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion. Cant wait.

I remember O.P being equally split in miles as hard/easy/hard/easy so perhaps she'll be on that one too if i persuade her. The rewards are worth it. Im aware of the back way/short cuts, but its the proper thing or nothing.

I'll definately do a T.R live like last time.

6. Re: Zion. Cant wait.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 10:18