We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Utah/Northern Arizona national parks and San Diego

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Utah/Northern Arizona national parks and San Diego

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post about 3 weeks in the west, starting in Yellowstone and travelling south to the Grand Canyon, taking in several national parks on the way.

We have had to change our plans and can't fly to the States till the 3rd week in September, staying till mid-October. We were thinking that it might be getting rather cold in Yellowstone/Grand Teton. We don't have very hot summers here in Britain and would dearly like to experience some sun and warmth. So we are thinking of flying to Las Vegas (or Flagstaff?Salt Lake City?), doing a circular route seeing Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Monument Valley etc. and then heading for a final week in San Diego. Is this realistic? We do like to swim and were looking forward to Jenny Lake or other lakes in the north, but it would be too cold for swimming up there then, wouldn't it? Is there any lake or other place anyone could recommend in Southern Utah/ Northern Arizona? Or should we just save the swimming till we get to California?

Any suggestions for a 3 week itinerary or places to see along this route would be very welcome. I have saved the recommendations that you all posted before.

Fran

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Utah/Northern Arizona national parks and San Diego

Fran,

We did a round trip about the same time of year in 2004. We were in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons 22-28 Sept and there is no way we would have gone swimming. The weather was nice and fine but not for swimming. We were in Las Vegas 5-7 Oct and even there only the children were silly enough to use the hotel pool. The only enjoyable swimming we had was in Los Angeles 8-10 Oct.

Maybe being from England you can stand the colder water but we would plan on doing our swimming in San Diego and spend the rest of the time sight seeing. It's not like you don't have plenty to see on that route.

Noel & Donna

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Utah/Northern Arizona national parks and San Diego

I think Tony gave you the best route already and for swimming. Try hotelpools in Palm Springs, nice and warm!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Utah/Northern Arizona national parks and San Diego

The water in San Diego, I assume you mean the Pacific, is likely to be substantially colder than the lakes in the southwest at the end of summer. The sea in San Diego is barely warmer than the sea round England, it was the greatest disappointment to me when I moved from England to California.

4. Re: Southern Utah/Northern Arizona national parks and San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 04:18