We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Market with coolers?

newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Super Market with coolers?

We will be flying into LAS and renting a suv for our 12 days in Utah. I am looking for a super market for supplies, drinks, and a large plastic cooler for our trip? Ideally I want to get out of Vegas and head to Zion with a stop on the way for supplies! We will need to restock later in the trip near Bryce and Boulder if you know of places in that area also. I will post later for that info on those forums.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon...
119 Reviews
from US$511.00*
Bryce Canyon, Zion National Parks...
119 Reviews
from US$227.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Zion National Park...
85 Reviews
from US$598.49*
US$629.99
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument...
16 Reviews
from US$948.99*
US$998.99
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Market with coolers?

There are a number of supermarkets in St George, that would be the best place to stop along the way. In Springdale you have Sol Foods, they have a surprisingly good selection, not sure about coolers though. You could call them - 435-772-3100

For Bryce you will probably want to go into Panguitch, there is a supermarket at Ruby's as well though. Not much on the rest of the way up UT12, I would suggest stocking up with enough to get you to Torrey if you are going that far. There are small stores in Escalante, Boulder and Torrey.

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Sol Foods
Sol Foods
668 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Market with coolers?

There are Wal Marts in Mesquite, St. George and Hurricane, which is right on hwy 9 on the way to Zion.

Mentioned in this post
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Market with coolers?

Although I generally avoid Walmart I happen to know that the one in Hurricane is incredible (it's fairly new and huge)

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,362 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Market with coolers?

I'd shop at the Walmart in Mesquite. It's convenient to the highway and you could have ice cold beverages by the time you get to Zion. And speaking of beverages, keep in mind that selections are limited in Utah.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
newark ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Market with coolers?

thanks all! I like to have more information when I travel to decrease my stress! So many things about travel our out of our hands but knowing where to go ect helps. I don't want to run around with no plan and waste time! I want to get to the good stuff! Exploring the great outdoors!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Market with coolers?

Hi Redrox,

I was planning at going to the Walmart near LAS after arrival, partly so that we could quickly get liquor and what not in addition to groceries. Do you think the one in Mesquite would be easier/quicker to deal with? They do sell liquor, right?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Market with coolers?

You are posting in a public forum that you intend to commit a crime!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Market with coolers?

Yikes. Perhaps I will just go to the Switchback liquor store in Springdale so that the people monitoring anonymous posts on a travel site aren't waiting for me on the state line to arrest me for a misdemeanor that is not even included on any of the multiple state liquor law lists that I had read, including: http://abc.utah.gov/laws/law_residents.html. I had to search many sites just to find that there actually is a law about bringing it into the state, which seems aimed more at limiting Utah residents from bringing it back into Utah, than harassing tourists. If I buy a bottle of liquor 5 miles from my hotel or 50 miles, it is not going to affect anyone and it will still be drunk. But thanks for letting me know about that law in a condescending way.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Market with coolers?

There is a state liquor store in Hurricane if you arrive during operating hours.

For groceries there is a nice Farmer market in La Verkin with extremely reasonable prices and an excellent selection

Edited: 27 February 2013, 02:41
Mentioned in this post
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Super Market with coolers?

There was nothing condescending in my remarks, unlike your rude reply.

I suggest you look at this page

http://abc.utah.gov/laws/law_faqs.html

which has the following question (with an expanded answer)

May I bring alcoholic beverages into Utah?

No. Under Utah law "alcoholic beverages" include all hard liquor, spirits, wine and beer.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 02:49
Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States