We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will more hotels become available by September?

New Brunswick, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Will more hotels become available by September?

Hi Everyone,

my husband and I traveled to Grand Canyon - Bryce - Zion - Death Valley - Vegas at Christmas last year. Now, my parents want to make the same trip in September. We are pretty last minute making reservations, and when I looked online it seems like most hotels close to the parks are either fully booked or extremely expensive (200$ per night for 1 room for two people).

Do you think it is best to wait until more rooms become available? Or will it only get worse? I am wondering whether rooms are maybe "on hold" for travel agencies that sell organized trips and therefore reserve rooms?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

I would not wait. September is one of the best months for travel in the area as the weather is starting to cool down but still not too cold.

In some of the locations there are only a few hotels (such as right near Bryce) but you can also save some money by staying an hour or 90 minutes away in Kanab. Near the Grand Canyon, Williams is an affordable choice. You can keep trying for lodging in the park, though.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 01:45
Mentioned in this post
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

Try the city of Tusayan for the south rim of the GCNP. It is only 15 mins from the south entrance of GCNP. U may get cheaper options at Williams however it's a bit far. And u don't want to waste time driving. Book ASAP. Hotels will get more expensive.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

If you are having trouble finding openings at the park lodges, you need to CALL... often.

Cancellations happen all the time and get snapped up by people calling, before they ever hit the website.

Things tend to slow down a little after Labor Day, as most kids are back in school.But its still a very popular time to go.

Check back often with hotels in Bryce and Springdale too.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,362 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

Agreeing. Don't expect to find more openings on line. Call every day and pray a lot.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,484 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

I bet something will open up for you at the places you may want to stay before Sept.There has to be some people who will not be able to make thier trip. As said, the key is to be persistant, I would suggest calling direct to the places you want to stay twice a day if possible, especially if they are a popular place to stay because they are nice, and less expensive. You are going to find prices likely higher in Sept since later Sept/Oct is a popular time to visit as the weather becomes quite nice during that time period.

I would though suggest booking something now with a cancelable reservation so you will at least have something, and then keep trying the places you want to stay at.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 05:10
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

As you already know, the parks are at different elevations and have their own climate/range of temperatures when given the time of year. The shoulder season varies from park to park, but expect Zion to be busy until November. The only way to beat high rates is to obviously look farther away from the parks.

It will get a little quieter after labour day, but usually people are just beginning to vacate the campgrounds in favour of the hotels. As mentioned, do not wait, but you do have enough time to consider your options.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 05:48
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

Agree with the advice to keep calling. I was in a similar situation last year in late September and early October, for both Zion and Bryce. I was able to book rooms at lodges in both parks, but not the dates I wanted or the room categories I had hoped for. I took them since I could make the trip work around those dates and a room inside the park is always my goal, but I kept checking online as well as calling. It was the calling that got me what I wanted-got my first choice dates and rooms. I know luck is involved, but so is persistence. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Will more hotels become available by September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16