We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

I have a day to drive from Vegas to Flagstaff and was wondering whether it would be reasonable to go via Zion NP ? Would there be enough time to get a taste of Zion or would I be better just doing the 4+ hour drive via Kingman?

There are 2 of us driving and I love landscape photography, so Zion is more appealing than the route via Kingman. Just a little worried that he extra driving may be too much. Although I wouldn't mind doing the last part after Zion to Flagstaff after dark I don't want too long a day as we will be visiting the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff on the following day.

Thanks for your advice!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

Well, it would nearly double your drive plus adding a few hours for Zion. You can't really just drive through Zion. You would need to park and shuttle in. Yes, it's beautiful but I'm not sure it's a good value for the couple hours you would have there and adding 3-4 hours to the trip.

Have fun.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

Yeah - I think you're right. It would be a shame to feel rushed in Zion knowing there's another 4 or 5 hours drive to get round to Flagstaff. Plus the next day we're going to the Grand Canyon, so don't want to be too tired for that!

I think we need to go to Zion on another holiday and plan more time to stay there. Thanks for your advice !

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

Plus the normal shortest way from Zion to Flag will be via Page but with the present roadclosure it will take longer. You are looking at an 8+ hours drive between Las Vegas and Flag via Zion and no time to see things on your way. Not only for Zion but also on the great drive to Flag via Jacob lake. And there are places to see between Las Vegas and Flagstaff like Hoover Dam and R66. Make a stop in Seligman for R66. You know it's still 90 minutes to drive between Flag and GC. Best is to take one entrance (east) in and the other entrance (south) out.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 16:21
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

To make the Las Vegas to Zion route work for you, you would have to change your night from Flagstaff to a more convenient location that is in between Zion and the Grand Canyon. Page is the most often used stop between Zion and GC. But if your travel plan is soon, and budget is an issue as well as availability, there are several hotels in Kanab you can choose from. While Flagstaff is a nice place to visit, it does make an inconvenient base for visiting the parks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

My first thought is that the route is fine if you have about 4 days. But if you only have one day, it would be foolish.

It's a bad idea to drive from anywhere to Flagstaff in 4-5 hours of darkness.

6. Re: Las Vegas to Flagstaff via Zion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16