We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway in mid November.....solo.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Subway in mid November.....solo.

In the past few years, ive done a lot of hikes solo. I'm usually hiking in Oct/Nov and know that crowds are low anyway at this time of year.

I'm doing A.L and O.P, both of which i love.

I'm seriously looking at doing the Subway bottom up. I've searched through previous threads and found this hike can be difficult to follow.

If i keep my wits about me and mark my exit points, do you think this is safe as a solo hike.

I'm really keen on doing some challenging stuff this time and in a weird way, am relishing it. However, i will take on board any advice.

I am planning on applying for a permit in the next couple of days, and due to (low) season, am likely to get it, so trying to plan ahead.

3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
118 reviews
from US$511.00*
Bryce Canyon and Zion Small-Group Tour
112 reviews
from US$227.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument...
14 reviews
from US$948.99*
US$998.99
Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
83 reviews
from US$598.49*
US$629.99
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway in mid November.....solo.

It's actually fairly easy in that you really just have to follow the stream. The difficulty is in finding your way around the obstacles like rocks and tree branches. And there are times when you have to scramble up the side of the canyon, through brush, and back down again just to keep going. If you're an experienced hiker you shouldn't have too much trouble. You may even come across others going the same way you are.

For me the trickiest part was finding the climb back out of the canyon. From the trailhead it's a steep drop of maybe a 1/2 mile to get into the canyon and the wash that you'll follow. So of course you have to climb back up to get out. As you're coming back the scenery all looks the same so you need to make note of what it looks like where the steep trail meets the stream.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway in mid November.....solo.

Not to scare you, but just saw this... As always when traveling solo in the backcountry, let someone know where you are and when you'll return.

nationalparkstraveler.com/2013/09/canyoneer-…

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway in mid November.....solo.

Hi Axelbobo.

Just repeating what Ziggy had to say. It has been noted by several experienced hikers to pay close attention to where you enter and exit the drainage. Once you are in the drainage, you follow it upstream to the point where progress is hindered significantly, then you return.

I am sure you have researched the several online accounts/descriptions of the Subway already, so enjoy.

I will be doing the same solo hike next spring. I plan on using my GPS device as an aid, though from experience, the rugged terrain of Zion does not allow a consistently accurate location.

Having some of the same characteristics of the Narrows in the latter section of the Subway, you will need to consider some basic gear rental for the wet conditions

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway in mid November.....solo.

I did it solo and except for the hike out that lvziggy mentions, I didn't find route-finding to be an issue. You follow the creek all the way... pretty hard to miss. :) There's a big cairn at the hike out; when I knew I was close, I made it a point to be on that side of the creek so that I wouldn't miss it. I'm not a fan of relying on a GPS when hiking.

Re gear: Even on a high-flow day, the Subway isn't nearly as deep as the Narrows. It's very shallow at the Subway itself but very slippery as you're on a rock slab. Hiking poles are recommended. I wore well-draining trail runners, saw others in Keens. I went in early May and the water was cold, but thin neoprene socks (half-mil) did the trick. With the conditions I had, there was some scrambling around obstacles on the shores that would have been a pain in dry pants.

All that said, I do agree that it's backcountry and appropriate rules apply. I had a small dry bag in my daypack with change of dry clothes and emergency items. If anything should happen, you want to make sure you'll at least be dry and warm.

5. Re: Subway in mid November.....solo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17