We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
33 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

Hi there -

I'm traveling out to Bryce and Zion starting on September 28 (until October 6) and there's a threat of a government shutdown (and thus no access to the national Parks) while we are on our vacation.

I'm sure there are tons of great things to see in the area that are NOT part of the National system and I have a few tour books but I'd like some advice from locals about really great things to see.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 13:15
Collegeville...
Level Contributor
33 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

I don't really know how this works either! I wasn't sure if they'd let you in at all or block the roads or what.

I'm just trying to cover all my bases and cross my fingers that I don't have to worry about it.

I've been out to this area before (about 10 years ago) and I know it's really beautiful and we'll have a good time no matter what happens but I like to turn my brain off on vacation and visiting national parks makes that easy. This little monkey wrench is making me plan a little bit more!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

IF a shutdown were to occur, there are plenty of state parks to see.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
33 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

That's exactly what I'm asking, dez40 -- which are the best ones? What would you put at the top of the list?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

I like Coral Pink Dunes and Sand Hollow in the Zion area. But I like boating and off roading so that has an influence on the parks for me.There is also Snow Canyon in the area.

Up near Bryce is Kodachrome Basin, and you can head over to see Grosvenor Arch if the road is ok.

Escalante State Park is another nice place if you are up off hwy 12.

If you are coming up from Nevada, Valley of Fire is a nice Nevada state park.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 17:55
6. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 13:53
Edited: 25 November 2013, 13:53
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

I know when state parks close for the year, they will have law enforcement keeping people away. The park staff isn't on duty for cleaning restrooms, driving shuttles, and at visitors centers, but they will still protect the parks and issue tickets.

This is a fun slot canyon around Bryce. Red Canyon is also nearby and would be great for mountain biking or hiking. backroadswest.com/trips/…

Not sure if it will be closed but you could try Calf Creek Falls. If the lower portion is closed I'm not sure how the upper falls could be. Peek-a-boo and Spooky and Devils Garden might be options.

As noted the state parks nearby are Snow Canyon and Kodachrome both of which are quite nice and have decent hiking options. Goblin Valley is further away and nearby is a huge area to explore called the San Rafael Swell. You can get a map from Nat Geo. It's fairly remote without a base town within 45 minutes of some areas. But there are lots of slot canyons like Little Wild Horse and others, petroglyphs, The Little Grand Canyon and other features to visit. There is also a lot of hiking and small lakes on Boulder Mountain, but might want to check Utah hunting season.

Valley of The Gods, San Juan Goosenecks, and Monument Valley are in the southeast corner of Utah.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

Ermmmm. This is news to me.

Could someone explain the situation.

Im due out 28 Oct to mid Nov.

I think there was news about something similar last year that never happened.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

Dear Axelbobo.

What happened last year was that they postponed the decision until this year. Since Congress waits till the last minute to work out a budget plan here we are again.... two weeks from the end of the budget year (Oct 1) without a plan in place for next year.

Some (and yes Utah's jr Senator is right there in the bunch) are threatening no compromise unless the healthcare law is rescinded. washingtonpost.com/business/economy/year-end…

If there is no budget in place then all non-essential services will not have funding to operate. Parks are a non- essential service in the minds of those with the purse strings. I beg to differ, feeling that the parks are perhaps the only essential service. But there it is in a nut shell.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
33 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Non-National Park stuff in case of Gov't Shutdown

Thanks everybody!

I'm hoping that none of this will matter but this will help us formulate a Plan B in case things are closed. I tend to try to minimize the amount of time I'm in car on my western trips but that might not be in the cards this time around because of things outside my control.

I know it's a great area to explore so maybe this will be a lucky opportunity for us to see some things we'd normally overlook.

Thanks!