We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

Franklin, IN
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

We will be visiting the area (Arches, Bryce, Zion) mid-October for one week with our six year old child following the itinerary suggested in this post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143057-i1449-k417…

Are there any fun activities you suggest outside of the incredible hikes and sight seeing which are appropriate for a six year old during Fall? It appears many of the activities I have read about are either shut down after Labor Day (i.e. river tubing) or unavailable for a six year old (i.e. horse back trail riding).

Thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

hi clc, sorry for the delay

I do not have a long list of activities in the Zion area for kids to do, but I can supply a couple of ideas.

You can rent some bicycles from Zion cycles or Zion outfitter and ride the parus trail, or even some of the main canyon scenic route.

Near the Zion park pedestrian access/Zion canyon courtyard, you will see the Zion Canyon Imax. You can check there to see if there is possibly something of interest currently playing.

You can check on the availability of ranger programs, but the schedule I see runs only into early October.There may be a couple of outfitters that can provide a half day of basic rock climbing. That will depend on age and the season, but I thought I would mention it.

I am completely unfamiliar with horse trail rides in the Zion area. While the in park trail ride is unavailable to you, there are some outside of the park as well. Jacobs ranch may be the best bet to at least see some horses. They are located at a warmer low elevation near to Springdale in the town of Virgin. You could drive over and at least have a visit. Also in this area you will see a fort like trading post/tourist trap that might interest you called virgin trading post.

At Bryce there will not be a lot of activities in October because of the colder weather. Winter activities likely will not start until the end of the year. There may be horse, bike, or ATV activities available at Ruby's Inn. You can check them out if the weather is warm.

Near Kanab/East Zion there is an animal sanctuary called Best Friends. You can stop in and arrange a tour of the facility during the day. In Kanab, you will find a western themed museum/film museum that may be of interest. Also near Kanab on US89 there is a sort of cave that you can tour and buy some high priced trinkets. Forget the name, but I think it is moqui cave.

Between Red Canyon and Bryce there is a wildlife museum on SR 12 on the South side. I do not know their season, but you can stop there if you see it. They also rent bikes and atv's as well in season.

You can also use the search function above or below, to see if there is anything I have missed.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

At that age some of the unstructured things might be the best. Probably the most exciting thing for a six y/o will be to climb the sand dunes and rocks. This is possible in Arches in several places. (Sand Dune Arch, the hill just off 191 by the entrance, Devil's Garden hike, Windows area etc.)

Another thing my boys liked to do was throw rocks. We would find a nice stream or lake and let them have at it to let out some steam. Some places this might be possible are Mill Creek in Moab, (also some wading and swimming, which shouldn't be too cold), Calf Creek falls along hwy 12, and the Virgin River.

I believe the Jr Ranger program is year round. Check in at the visitor centers for information about what to do to earn a badge. If they don't offer the complete program they may still have the booklets which will help with the kids learning about the parks. There is good information for children on the park websites as well that you could check out beforehand. NPS.gov/zion for a start Look at the "for Kids" tab on the left. And check out the webranger option.

Best advice is to go slow. Don't rush. A child will be looking down for the most part and finding a lizard or tarantula would be awesome.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

Greetings clcflynn ,

Welcome out west, You still may be able to catch operators in business for a float trip on the Colorado River in mid-October. If your child bikes, there are probably some manageable and easy trails around Moab. Talk with the rental shop as they will have the best info and recommendations for the skill set.

But for a six-year old the places that I'm thinking may be fun are Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Canyon and also Calf Creek Falls. Kids this age won't be too impressed with view points but will want to play in the sand and water and climb on rock formations. Another place to check out would be the Devils Garden down Hole in the Rock road.

4. Re: Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 08:35
Franklin, IN
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

Thank you all for the great ideas and experiences. We hope to strike the right balance to keep everybody happy during this trip.

6. Re: Mid-October visit with a six year old activity suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park