We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Narrows

Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 posts
Save Topic
The Narrows

My 4 sisters and I are planning a trip to Zion two weeks from now in the beginning of October. I saw that the more beautiful portion of the Narrows is past where a guided tour can take you. How difficult is the trail to maneuver at this time of year? Is the water high? Do we need special equipment? Any insight you might be able to give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.-Zion Traveler

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Narrows

The current water flow is just above 40 cfs, which is relatively low, but maybe a little above average for this time of year. In recent weeks, heavier rains have closed the Narrows several times, which happens when the water flow reaches and exceeds 150 cfs>> waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv…

If you are planning to spend a few hours in the Narrows, then I would recommend the basic Narrows package, which you can rent in town from several outfitters including Zion Adventures and Zion Outfitter.

The narrows has some more challenging sections in its entire length, but the stretch from orderville Canyon jct to Big Spring has more boulder obstacles and deep water than you would find in the first two miles or so.

Sorry I do not have more time. You will find a lot of good info on the upper right in the top questions.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Narrows

You don't need a guide to do the Narrows.Its very easy to see on your own.

Its a fairly straight forward hike of just following the river. When you are tired or have seen enough, simply turn around and head back.Definitely try to get to at least Orderville Canyon.(that is as far as a guide can go)

This time of year, the water is usually about shin to knee deep, but there can be deeper holes.

If you feel the water will be too cold try renting equipment at an outfitter in town.

www.zionadventures

www.zionrockguides.com

More Narrows info with river levels, etc...

nps.gov/zion/…hikingthenarrows.htm

Edited: 20 September 2013, 19:06
Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Narrows

Thanks so much for the information. We are all looking forward to this trip and the more I read about Zion the more exciting it gets.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
687 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Narrows

Just keep in mind that the "trail" is basically the river which is what you follow. As already suggested I would try to get all the way to Orderville canyon, but if you can manage it try to get to Big Spring (it's 5 miles in). The depth of the water also somewhat depends on your height. My wife and daughter are both fairly short, 5-2 and 5-0 respectively, and except for a couple of spots when getting up over some boulders, they had no issues at all when we did the Narrows in June. In the case of these boulders, I went first and helped them up and over....the water was just above their waists because of deep pool in front of the boulder.

You'll definitely enjoy it.....it's an awesome hike.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Narrows

I don't get what the guides would even do on the narrows hike. You can't get lost even if you wanted to. There are huge cliffs guiding your way and hundreds of other people. Granted, there is a fork at Orderville canyon, but Orderville was our favorite part because it is so narrow with the light streaming down at midday.

I could see having a guide to help if you were doing the top down overnight, but I don't know if they even do that.

6. Re: The Narrows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:22