We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

We are taking a family RV trip the first week of April with our 3 kids (7, 9, 11 yr.). We are wanting to camp and visit some of the National parks in Utah. We don't have time for everything, so I'm wondering which parks would be best? If we should try to go to more parks for shorter time, or longer time in a few. We would like to spend 2-3 days in Disneyland. Should we attempt Grand Canyon on our way back to SLC? I don't know enough about the parks to make a decision of which to see and which to cut. We also don't to want to be driving the whole time & we want the kids to be able to hike, run around, bike, and explore. Does any know anything about the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks for your help and suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

Forget Disney. Or find more time. 8 days is minimal for the 5 parks alone. Not including the GCNP. That would barely give you time for hiking biking and exploring.

The train from Williams is an expensive ride on a train. It has nothing to do with the Grand Canyon.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 00:50
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,470 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

If you spend 3 days at Disneyland, and then basically 2 days traveling, that only really give you a day of visiting somewhere as you go to Anaheim and return.

The Grand Canyon is a little father out of your way, and would add about 4 hours to your drive. I would suggest visiting Zion and that area with your extra time, as thats all you would really have time for.

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

We could make it 10 days. Would you try to do Zions, Arches, and Bryce? I thought maybe Arches, Canyon Lands, Goblin Valley, Dead Horse Point, Capital Reef because they are all close. Would you stay at Arches for a day and just stop at the others. What about Zions? Can we do it in one day and night?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

The closest to Disney would be Zions and Bryce. That's really all you have time for. Moab and points east need 8 days on their own.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

Definitely don't have time for all 5 parks as well as Disneyland. These really seem like two separate vacations. With 10 days you could do Capitol Reef, Bryce, and Zion before heading to Disneyland for three days and then straight back to SLC. If you only have 8 days, you could spend a night at Bryce and a couple at Zion before driving to California. Can't squeeze it all in one trip unless you never want to exit the RV, which defeats the purpose. Chalk up you losses and know the ones you missed will be there for the next trip.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

The others you mentioned like Goblin Valley, LWHC, and the Moab area are close, but it is relative. They are still a couple of hours apart. Even though Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands are close, there are an hour apart because they are opposite directions on the main road. In an RV, driving will take longer. That is why you don't really have time to explore all areas and drive to the next. Just have meaningful time at the places you do decide to visit rather than trying to cram everything into one rushed trip, seeing everything from your car window.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

Hey, you guys are all starting to sound like Kbecjeans. It is Zion National Park, thank you very much.

Not nearly enough time for all you have mentioned. I agree with shake801, you are trying to merge two trips into one. Pick either Disney or the parks of southern Utah. I'd pick Utah!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

It's Zions out of respect for Kbecjeans. So that means you're not going to Disney next week, OH?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,470 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

Bryn5

You can also post in the Anaheim forum for more help with finding a place to stay at Disneyland and those types of questions. Heres the Anaheim forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29092-i65-Anaheim…

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Utah's BIG FIVE parks & Disneyland in 8 days?

Thank you RedRox. I've noticed and it has made me a smile.

Brynn5-welcome to the forums. I think that all five parks and some of the side attractions along with Disney is not possible. Let alone adding in Grand Canyon.

And arches and Canyonlands are on the wrong side of the state.

What I do think is possible is a trip to Disney with stops on the way down and the way back at Bryce and Zions.

You could take three days down stopping for one day and two nights at Bryce. Then three days for Disney and the beach and then three days back with two nights at Zions.

That would be a very realistic plan that would give you time out of the RV and break up the long drive to LA and back.