We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

We're taking a trip to Zion National Park on Dec 25-30 and have four nights to spend in the area. We're wondering if we should do two nights in Lake Mead and two nights in Zion to break up the trip, or if Zion will have enough to offer us for five whole days. Anyone have any opinions on the matter? Would love to hear your feedback!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

I personally do not know of any opportunities to stay at Lake Mead, so I will rely on others to fill in the blank there. I am however interested to know what you think about visiting Bryce Canyon, and Lake Powell/Page/Antelope Canyon. Zion, Bryce, and Page AZ make a great small circuit loop with five days/four nights.

The main canyon of Zion will be visitable in late Dec, as well as east Zion. The Kolob regions may be impacted by snow. Ice can also impact the trails in the higher shaded portions of the park, such as the east Rrim trail, and the majority of the west rim trail not immediately in the lower main canyon. Zion is a park full of scenic hikes of various difficulty that can be explored over several days. However the majority of visitors just spend a couple of days and look over and do some short hikes in the main canyon.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,495 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

The best compliment to time at Zion is a night or two at Bryce Canyon NP.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,007 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

There is nothing to do at Lake Mead in December especially without a boat.

You could take a drive to Hoover Dam and tour it, then visit Valley of Fire and drive up the west side of Lake Mead if you want to taking all day to reach Zions. That would be worthwhile especially since you have the time.

Or you could drive to Page for a night, or Bryce, or both.....

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

Yes if you are coming from Las Vegas you can take Lake Mead bld to Lake Mead, Northshore road and visit Valley of Fire before Zion but I would not want to stay 2 nights at the cost of Zion or even a visit to Bryce or Page. Only motel I know with lakeview is Echo Bay and there's a hotel in Overton. It's a 2 hours drive between Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

I would much rather see Lake Powell over Lake Mead.Its a prettier lake.

However there is a nice kayak trip you can do below Hoover Dam to Willow Beach, but in December it will be cold.

For hiking near Vegas this site is very good.

www.birdandhike.com

With the time you have, a Zion Bryce combo makes a good trip.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

Yes a stop at Lake Mead from Las Vegas is fine, not exciting but worth a look. From Zion there are several other better options.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

I would spend the time at Bryce over Lake Mead without a second thought. You will be under-impressed with Lake Mead and Valley of Fire SP after Zion and Bryce.

8. Re: Visiting Zion National Park, should we go to Lake Mead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18