We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

Hi all,

I am starting to plan for spring break and would like your feedback on itinerary. We are 2 adults and one 14 yo. We have been to Zion before and have done AL and Narrows. This time back meeting up with sister and family with 6, 8 yrs olds. They are new to area.

They have two weeks. So they want to go to Anaheim (Mickey Mouse) then drive toward Las Vegas. I am thinking of recommending Death Valley for 2-3 days for them, then Las vegas. By that time we will arrive on Sat 3/22 and meet up. Drive immediately to Zion. Now I am a bit stuck with lodging. Husband prefer outside park accom. to have more food choices. We stayed at Desert Pearl last time and liked it, but having trouble seeing availability. So thinking maybe Ponderosa Ranch Resort. I know it's a bit out, but there are trails within resorts and trail to Observation Point I think. We would drive into park one day too and do AL again. The possible pluses would be more activities for kids to do like ATV, pool, trampoline, zipline, etc... You think the experience would be ok? any other alternatives?

Then we will split up Wed and drive to Havasu Falls, to hike down Thursday morning, staying THur and Frid nites, come up Sat to get back to LAS and home Sunday. My sister would choose Bryce or Grand Canyon I guess to do for 2-3 days and back to LAS to fly home too.

I guess I am looking for any opinions or suggestions or pearls on accommodation, activities for this group. THanks a bunch.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

Death Valley is nice that time of year.Great park!

Another option to consider is maybe Palm Springs,Joshua Tree and a trip thru the Mojave Preserve (more Joshua Trees than Joshua Tree)on the way to Vegas.

March is not really pool weather near Zion. Last time I was there in March there were snow flurries.. I don't think the hotels even bother heating pools at that time. Hot tubs yes, pools most likely not. Its very expensive.

Rubys at Bryce has an indoor pool.

Zion Ponderosa is a nice place.There are some nice cabins available to rent out that way. If the road is not snowy/muddy, you can access the trailhead for Observation Point, which is off the east mesa trail.

Zion Mountain Resort is off hwy 9 and has cabins and I believe some activities.

By staying at those resorts on the east side, you are sort of stuck for places to eat. If you don't opt for the on site restaurants,you will need to drive down to Springdale or Mt Carmel for places to eat.

You do have reservations for Havasu?

Edited: 21 December 2013, 21:17
USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

Dez,

thank you! No we have not booked camping spots in Havasu. The itinerary is still doing gymnastics in my mind. Originally we had wanted to hike down G Canyon and stay 2 nights down there, but could not get permit. So Havasu Falls became second choice. I still have hotel reservations inside G Canyon though; so am wondering if it's not just easier? better? to hike down G Canyon (south rim of course) as far as we can and be able to come back as a day trip? What you think?

I can suggest sis to do Palm Springs, Mojave Preserve and then we all meet up at DV instead and enjoy warmer weather there. I love love DV. Then maybe a stop at Hoover Dam (in law is a damn builder) on the way to G Canyon/Havasu?

I think I just need someone to tell me what to do :-)

Edited: 21 December 2013, 22:47
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

So many options!! And they are all good. Havasu would be a great alternative, but you do need reservations, and they may not be as easy to get as you need. So I think first I would check to see if I could get reservations for Havasupai either at the village hotel, or the campground. Since I'm assuming you won't have backpack and camping gear then staying at the hotel may be your only option and that is really hard to get in last minute. So try for that first. If you get it then cancel your GC reservations.

If you don't get rooms at Havasupai then stick with the Grand Canyon and do day hikes. You'll still love it.

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

I know, right? it's tough to choose because they are all equally good. I will call and inquire about camping spot down Havasu Falls tomorrow. Not interested in the hotel, and I would bring gear with us if we have a permit. I really want to incorporate a "challenge" in the itinerary; just thinking about the possibility is so exhilaratinh. It's motivating me and myself to go out in icy, below freezing weather right now to walk the hills! Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement. I'll be back...

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

Well, I have no real update. Finally got to speak to a live person on the phone and found out that they don't take reservation for Havasu Falls camping in March 2014 until February. So we sit and wait. At least we have our air tickets in-and-out of LAS. Continue training as we are vacationing, right now in the LA area, and just hiked the Chantry Flats: what an outstanding surprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantry_Flat

Happy New year,

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,045 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

Just wanted to say that there are many other nice hotels in Springdale besides Desert Pearl if you want to be closer to Zion. Doesn't have to be Desert Pearl or nuthin'!

7. Re: Zion National Park and Havasu Falls March 20,2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park