We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

New Jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

My husband and I will be visiting these areas, in July, and I have some questions....

We'll be flying into LV, early am. then driving to Bryce. I know it's a long drive and we lose an hour...any suggestions on the best/quickest route to Bryce. Also, any recs for a stop for lunch/snack on the way...maybe St. George. We are not familiar with the area. We'll be staying in the Bryce Canyon Lodge for two nights.

Since we're staying in the park, can we drive our own car around or do you suggest we take the park shuttle?

Any recs on specific things to do while in Bryce. I know many people hike but we're not hikers....

Next, we're going to Zion, staying at the Desert Pearl Inn for two nights. I know there is a shuttle, from the hotel, that goes to Zion...does that mean that they prefer you not to drive your own vehicle to the park??? My husband would probably rather take the shuttle. Also, any recs for things to do while in the park...again, we're not hikers. recs for restaurants in Springdale?

We'll be staying two nights in Zion...hopefully, we'll get an early start , from Bryce, and arrive in the am so we'll have a good portion of the day then and a full next day.

After Zion on to LV. We've been to LV many time and know it's hot, hot, hot but we're visiting family and staying at the Mirage with their great pool and ac.

Several years ago we went to Sedona (loved it) the Grand Canyon (stayed at the El Tovar...wow what a place) and then drove to Las Vegas....interesting drive.

Well, that's my very long message....hope you don't mind answering my questions...really appreciate whatever info you can give....best routes, things to do and restaurants/cafes...

Thanks,

Amy

« Previous | Next »

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,379 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Mesquite or St George would be logical places to get a bite and stock up on water and snacks to have with you in the car.

At Bryce, use your car to tour the rim view points all the way to Rainbow Point and back. Since all the view point turn outs are on the east side of the road it's easier to stop at them all on the return route, to avoid cross traffic left hand turns. Tough you're not hikers, I strongly advise walking at least one of the shorter trails to get down into the hoodoos. It's a whole different environment. We like the Navajo Loop.

Plan to spend a couple of hours in East Zion on the day that you move from Bryce to Springdale.

The shuttle in Springdale will pick you up near Desert Pearl and take you several blocks to the park entrance. You'll go through the welcome center and then outside to the park shuttle to be transported up the canyon. You can hop on and off the park shuttle all day long. Once again, you don't need to hike, but walking and wandering can get you to places that you definitely want to experience.

HTH

New Jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

thanks for the info...will look into the Navajo Loop....what route do you suggest for getting to Bryce, from LV?

Also, do you recommend taking the shuttle in Bryce or just using our car.....

Amy

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,379 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

Going to Bryce, take I-15 to Cedar City and across to 89 north to UT12. Stop at Zion Kolob Canyon if you have an extra hour or two.

At Bryce, use your own car as advised

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

Great advice from RedRox.

My wife and I usually make a stop in Mesquite when traveling from LV in to UT. Right off the interstate.

As for the route from LV to Bryce Canyon, the fastest and probably easiest is I-15 to route 20 to route 89 south to route 12 to Bryce Canyon. An alternate route that will be a little longer and along more winding roads is to take I-15 to Cedar City, then route 14 east. Once on route 14 you can go to route 89 north to route 12 and into Bryce Canyon or you can take 14 to148 then 143 and over to 89 then south to 12 and Bryce. If you opt for that last route you can check out Cedar Breaks National Monument (like a mini Bryce Canyon only at 10K feet) and maybe Brian Head. Layout the route on Google maps to see your options.

When you travel from Bryce to Zion, take 89 south to route 9 west.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

Regarding the shuttles, you must use the shuttle in Zion. Private cars are not allowed in the main canyon unless you are staying at the Lodge in the park. At Bryce Canyon the shuttle is optional but it only runs along the rim of the main amphitheater and to the Visitor Center. You can use the shuttle easy enough in this area. But to tour the scenic drive south of the main amphitheater you will have to use your car.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

From the lodge in Bryce, you will be able to access the rim trail by foot, no need for a car or shuttle. For most people, they are satisfied with a couple of views from the rim, and a hike below the rim via Queens Garden or Navajo Trail. You can reserve a spot on the Rainbow Point coach to enable you to be able to tour the scenic drive, but taking this route by car would be best, just need to be patient sometimes, as parking is limited if the park is busy.

With two days at Zion, you can adequately explore the main canyon. Many features are seen by hour long easy hikes, and half day moderate hikes. Enjoy the shuttle stops, and follow the flow of people for best results. There is some good info in previous threads on this forum if you want to do some browsing.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

RedRox and OhioHick....thanks for the great advice. RedRox...I know you said the Navajo Loop might be a good trail for us non-hikers, but when I looked at the site for types of hikes it said that the NL is rated a moderate stress, 1.8 miles round trip and "The trail requires hikers to descend 800 feet down the side of the Bryce rim, and then at the end of the hike to climb right back up that slope." That sounds like it would be difficult for us...

saw that the Mossy Cave Trail is marked easy, 1 mile round trip and says "The Mossy Cave Trail in the northern end of Bryce Canyon National Park offers hikers the chance to experience up close the hoodoos and spires of the park without having to descend 1,000 feet to the bottom of the amphitheatres. This trail follows a stream that leads to a natural grotto, a shelter cave that looms protectively over the trail, bearing ice sickles in the winter and lichen and moss in the warmer seasons.

What do you think....we really novices when it comes to Bryce and Zion and really appreciate any help you can give...

Amy

Edited: 26 January 2014, 21:33
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

What you want to do, I think, is to get the view of the hoodoos from below the rim of the main amphitheater. You can get that from the Navajo Trail or Queens Garden (rated easy). And nothing says that you have to hike the entire trail. You can walk down into the amphitheater to whatever point you like then turn around and return to the rim. Just a short walk down the trail will give you a different perspective.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

OK...see this is why I love tripadvisor...like I said, we're novices and really aren't familiar with BC and Zion...great idea...really want to see the hoodoos...

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LV..Bryce....Zion...LV

Yah, Navajo loop is shorter, but offers a faster rate of descent/ascent than the longer there and back Queens Garden trail. You will see the hoodoos in all their glory from up on the rim. You get to experience being among the hoodoos as you hike down from the rim. As said, it really does not take long to hike from the top at the rim to the midst of these formations. Mossy cave is the hiking trail off of SR 12 near Tropic. Good trail, but consider it optional if your time is short.