We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only a few hours....what to see?

Everett...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Only a few hours....what to see?

We will be leaving Las Vegas by late morning and traveling to Bryce Canyon for overnight lodging in the park. We would like to stop by Zion but wouldn't have much time.

Any recommendations for 3-4 hours in Zion in June with crowds?

Planning to enter through the south entrance and exit through the east entrance/exit.

From what I have read, I assume we should allow 2-3 hours for the shuttle round trip with getting off at viewpoints or is that not an accurate amount of time?

How long does it take on the average to drive between the south and east entrances assuming there are overlooks along the way to view?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,978 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

What else is on your itinerary??? why are you only allocating 3-4 hrs?

how are you getting back to Vegas?

the main entrance(south entrance) you need to access it by bus. the buses will take longer with stops and drop offs.

an alternate option in your shorter time to Bryce ---is visit Kolb Canyon part of Zion where you can drive in, then on the way to Bryce after Kolob Canyon you could stop at Cedar Breaks NM on your way to Bryce.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

The drive on ut9 already through Zion NP is very scenic. The HoHo busloop through the main canyon app takes 1.5 hours but it depends on how many times you HoHo. It's already a 3 hours drive to Zion and you'll lose 1 hour for timedifference. Then it's 2 hours to Bryce without stops.

Tet

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

Since you do not have a lot of time, first thing to do is to leave LV as early as possible. I would concentrate on tha main canyon at Zion (shuttle bus and a few stops) and/or the hike along the Canyon Overlook Trail from route 9. Here's more info on that hike:

zionnational-park.com/zion-canyon-overlook-t…

Cedar Breaks is a nice little National Monument, but it is sort of a mini Bryce Canyon. With your limited time, I would skip CB and keep focused on the National Parks.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

Driving from the southwest entrance to the east entrance will take just under a half hour minimum. If you make stops at some of the pulloffs then you add time. There may be delays at the tunnel if there are RVs coming through. If you snag some parking on the east side of the tunnel for the canyon overlook hike, you can add 45 min to an hour RT to the overlook and back.

As soon as you enter the park from the SW, you will want to take a quick right to get to the visitor center, which is where you will get on the shuttle for the park. Ideally you will want to take the shuttle to the end of the canyon and back. If you have the time, I would suggest walking some of the Riverside walk at the Temple of Sinawava. This flat walkway showcases the main canyon where the walls start to narrow. In my opinion I would recommend this hike before canyon overlook if your time is going to be real limited.

If you decide to forego the shuttle ride, you can still get out at the visitor and hike the Parus trail which begins at the visitor center.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

Assuming you are doing a loop out of Vegas??

Since you are leaving Vegas so late in the morning, I would head straight to Bryce via I-15 and Hwy 20.

See Bryce in the afternoon, sunset,catch sunrise, then head to Zion.

You will be entering Zion via the more spectacular east side.See Canyon Overlook, then drop into the canyon and park at Canyon Junction(if there is room) Take the shuttle from there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

I'll second taking the shuttle from the visitor center to the end of the road and walking Riverside walk. It will give you the quickest, best view of the park. Get off at all the shuttle stops as well, even if it is just for a look while you wait for the next shuttle.

Then the drive through the east section of the park is beautiful and on to Bryce.

Do consider dez's suggestion to see Zion at the end of your trip instead.

Everett...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

I like the suggestion to go to Bryce first! We could leave Bryce the next day as soon as their trail ride was complete and have more time at Zion. I will have to see if I can cancel a night of our reservations.....

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

Try to stay at Zion for a night, or at least stay for sunset.Almost every restaurant in town has some sort of a view to eat before the drive back. The drive back to Vegas is mostly interstate and very easy to drive after dark. Plus you gain an hour entering Nevada.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

Pam B is on a tight schedule and leaves for GC after Bryce/Zion. Don't think she'll has the time to do Bryce first and Zion after that.

10. Re: Only a few hours....what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:18