We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

We are planning a trip to Zion/Bryce National park in mid May with a 2 and a half year old toddler. We will be flying in and out of Vegas. Is May a good time with regards to weather to visit these parks keeping in mind that we will have a toddler with us. Also any recommendations regarding accommodation will be appreciated. Thanks

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

No way to predict the weather, but May is usally a good time to visit. It could still get hot, particularly in Zion or be very cool in Bryce (elevation is 8000 feet above sea level).

You said 4 days, so that implies three nights. Is that correct? If so, I would do two nights at Zion and 1 at Bryce Canyon. There are several good lodging options in Springdale just outside of Zion. Desert Pearl gets a lot of positivie comments on the forums. At Bryce Canyon, look to the Ruby's lodging options just outside the park.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

A couple of nights in Springdale will be ideal. There are a slough of places to stay in Springdale. Believe it or not, the independant accomodations get more recommendations than the chain hotels. Look for Desert Pearl, Cliffrose, Cable Mountain, Driftwood, Flanigans, and Majestic. If chain hotels are your preference, the Hampton is the newest located mid town. www.zionpark.com

At Bryce, the mentioned Rubys facilities consist of the BW Grand, the BW Rubys Inn, and the Bryce View Lodge. There is also a lodge in the park at www.brycecanyonforever.com If you are having difficulties locating availability, just ask for more suggestions. In the meantime check out www.brycecanyoncountry.com

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

We will have 4 nights so my plan is 2 nights at Zion and 2 at Bryce. Should I stay at bryce for one night and either spend 3 nights at Zion or spent one night at some other place? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

One more thing. We will be arriving in Vegas late in the evening on friday so plan is to leave Vegas early morning Saturday. Is it better to go to Zion first or Bryce? I was little concerned that Zion will be busy as it we will be getting there on Saturday. So should i go to Bryce first?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

Usually one night at Bryce is enough. Unless there is a astronomy event or you want to do the horse ride into the canyon.

www.canyonrides.com

www.nps.gov/brca

Try Bryce first. Get the long drive out of the way on day one.You lose an hour entering UT. Either I-15 to hwy 20 or I-15 to hwy 14. In Mid May, Cedar Breaks might not be open yet.

See Bryce. Then you will enter Zion from the more spectacular east entrance. See Canyon Overlook just east of the Zion tunnel. Zion to Vegas is under three hours and you gain an hour entering NV.

6. Re: Zion/Bryce 4 day in Mid may with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park