We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

Pinellas Park...
7 posts
Save Topic
Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

My BF and I will be travelling to Las Vegas in May and we are looking at going to Bryce 1 day and Zion 2. I know that Cedar City is not necessarily recommended for the parks, however I'd like to try and use hotel points if i can to cut down on cost. For Bryce I would probably just pay for the Ruby's Inn, however there are a lot of chain hotels in Cedar City for Zion that I have points with (Marriott and Holiday Inn Express), and the hotels in Zion are quite pricey. I know this will add an hour each way, but if the room is free, do you think it's worth the hassle?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for best routes? We're flying from Vegas, but we're coming from Florida, so it'll be a long first day. Originally I was thinking of flying from Vegas, getting in at noon, and driving to Bryce, but that's 7 hours of flight time + 4 hours of driving. That's a lot of time on our butts. Maybe it would be better to do Zion first and then Bryce, even though it'll be a long drive back to Vegas? I'd like to consider in-between cities I could stay at to cut down on costs so I can use my points, too, like Cedar City and such. But only if you think it's worth it.

I know there's a lot of ways to do this, so I thought I would consult everyone here. I'm also willing to add an extra day to see another park if you think it's worth it. Bf and I are not extreme hikers. I think a 2-3 hour hike is about my limit. I'm more about scenery.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,009 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

The drive from Vegas to Bryce takes longer than four hours. And you lose an hour entering UT. Arriving at noon means you get on the road about 1.

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Washington at the intersection of Hwy 9 and I-15 near the Harley dealer. I don't think its worth the hassle , but if I had to stay outside Zion using points, that would be a good pick. But its so much nicer to be right next to or in the park. No commuting, and you can be there for sunset and sunrise without having to drive after dark. Park your car at the hotel in Springdale and use both the in-town and in-park shuttles.

ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/…hoteldetail

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

It's a 4-1/2 hour non-stop flight on Southwest from Tampa to Vegas. Maybe make Zion your first stop to save driving on day one. Definitely inconvenient to NOT stay in Springdale. But Dez' suggestion of the HIE in Washington is a good one. You also have other options in St. George, but you'll definitely sacrifice trip quality doing the drive each day. As noted, you have no other options in Bryce so go with Ruby's.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,595 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

forkyfork98 , Welcome to the TA forums.

The HIE in Washington came to my mind as well, glad dez40 mentioned it. It would be much better (since it is closer) than either Cedar or St George for Zion.

Head there the first day/night.

If you want something closer for Bryce check out Panguitch or Tropic. There is still a drive, but rates may be lower and it is closer than Cedar, (which I wouldn't recommend for Bryce).

If it is a matter of staying somewhere you can afford or not seeing the parks, take the place further away, the parks are great any time of day.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

My suggestion.....

there is a holiday inn express in Kanab you could use points at.

there are Marriotts in St Goerge, Cedar City, Page, and Richfield.

Ruby's In nis a best western. that is relatively cheap for point stays. If you see some sort of promo of 10,000 pts for $67--you buy 20,000 points for $134 which could be less than paid stay.

Cedar City is too far for a back/forth to bryce. i can be done.

Pangultch and Tropic has some places to stay.

You could use Kanab as a base for park visits.

As for the itinerary.....

day 1 fly into Vegas then drive toCedar City. depending on what time your flight arrives. If you arrive around noon you could do a quick vivist to Kolb Canyon part of Zion right off I-15 for a few hours in afternoon sunlight.

day 2 drive to Bryce...spend all day there till sunset. Compare hotel rates between the best western vs Kanab holiay inn express.

day 3 Zion...loook to stay in Kanab, springdale, hurricane, or st George (Mariiott points stay)

day 4 Zion all day..then drive down to Vegas.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 00:58
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

The downside of not staying at Springdale for Zion is that you miss sunset and sunrise. The convenience is important. Those times of day are magical at the parks.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

You have tremendous amounts of options around Bryce, but the three Rubys properties are convenient to the park. Panguitch has a series of motels, but they are old and run down. If you do not see any availability at Rubys Inn, the BW Grand, or Bryce View Lodge, look at Fosters, Bryce Canyon Pines, and bryce canyon Resort which will be the next closest before lodging options in Tropic. Check out www.brycecanyoncountry.com for options if you need them

I agree that CedarCity is not a good spot to visit Zion from. Washington and even St George are easier places to make a commute fom. The road/highway conduit between Zion and these places are efficient and safe, even at night. While I also suggest using Springdale as a base for Zion because of its close proximity, only you will know what your budget will agree with.

Pinellas Park...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

Thank you everyone for your replies.

So we're thinking now the first day we get in, we might drive towards Bryce (but not try and see it) just so we can break the drive up. What would be a good place to drive to from LV? Cedar City?

Next day we'd drive to bryce. 1 night in Bryce. Then two nights in Zion. Maybe the 3rd night in St. George just so we can get some extra time in Zion? Or should we just make the long haul back to Vegas (where I can also use points)?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,009 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

Depending on how early in May this is,you -might- be able to cut across from Cedar City and see Cedar Breaks (if the road is open yet) on the way to Bryce.

www.nps.gov/cebr/planyourvisit/hours.htm

There is a fun drive to the top of Brian Head Peak, but its a little early for that.

Spend two nights in Zion. You can easily drive back to Vegas after dark. Its mostly interstate, less than three hours, and you gain an hour entering NV.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

The drive from Las Vegas to Cedar City is an easy one up I-15, easily doable in the dark. The only tricky section is the Virgin River gorge of the I15 in the corner of Arizona. The next day you can choose the slower route of SR 14 over to US89, which passes near 10000 feet near Duck Creek. Or you can choose the faster and easier SR 20 route which crosses over a lower pass/portion to the north of Cedar City.

The drive from Zion to St George is easy and simple. The extra two hoursa of drive to las vegas might be a little long if you have spent three busy days in Zion hiking. Your choice. Do what your budget tells you, I guess.

10. Re: Zion/Bryce from LV with hotel points (Cedar City?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:19