We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

My husband and I are taking a roadtrip next week and would love some advice. We leave Los Angeles Thursday around 4pm and will either stop for the night in Vegas or St. George. Then Friday morning head to Zion. We will spend the whole day exploring the park then Saturday take a day trip to Bryce and then head back to Zion that night. On Sunday we will spend the morning and early afternoon in Zion before heading to Vegas for the night.

Just a background we are in good shape and I am a photographer so I would love to hike to some great spots. I know our time is limited at both Bryce & Zion so any tips as far as what to see, where to go and where to eat would be appreciated!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

Another option is to stop in Mesquite. Then you can see the Virgin River Gorge on I-15 in the daylight.

Might want to stay over in Bryce to see the canyon at its best at sunrise. The dark night skies are great too. Lots of animals on the road at night if you choose to drive after dark. See the main amphitheater. If the trails are not too muddy/snowy try Navajo/Queens Garden trail.Red Canyon on the way to Bryce is nice to photograph.

The shuttle starts April 1, so you can drive your car up the canyon next week.

If open, the Narrows are a must. Angels Landing if not afraid of heights, or go as far as Scout Lookout if you do fear heights.

The little alcove of Menu Falls is something you can quickly see since you can stop near it.People riding the shuttle never see it.

Canyon Overlook just outside the tunnel is a must.

Here is a site with photos and trail descriptions.

www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide

There are art galleries in town with nice photos to see.

Grafton ghost town is just outside Rockville if you want to shoot old buildings.

The drive back to Vegas can easily be done after sunset.Mostly interstate, and you gain an hour entering NV.

A nice drive from Vegas to Barstow is to cut thru the Mojave Preserve from Cima Road to Kelso to I-40 to I-15. Adds about an hour, with the largest concentration of Joshua Trees in the world. Great for photography.

You could drive to Bryce first via the fast way I-15/hwy 20. Spend the night. Then spend two days at Zion. This route you enter the park via the more spectacular east entrance.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 19:16
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

Just to be clear, the shuttle referred to is in Zion.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

I took I-15 a few days ago. There is a huge construction going on along Virgin River Gorge on bridges in AZ. Traffic can be very slow and you need to expect delays so plan accordingly. The northbound traffic accommodates south and north traffic. No passing anywhere. Not much of sightseeing if you have to watch trucks coming at your direction. What I suggest is try to make it to St. George on Thursday night but that would be a long drive for you. If you stay in St George you can leave for Zion (or Bryce) Friday morning and have a whole full day there instead of dealing with construction on I-15. Utah is on Mountain Time.

I like Mesquite, NV as an overnight stop. Maybe you can stay there on the way back but consider not driving after a dark when construction is going on. I like Dez's idea of going to Bryce first. I'm going to be in Bryce Monday-Tuesday and I'm planning to hike so if you want I can let you know about trail conditions. I'm preparing myself for snow, ice and mud in Bryce.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

Another option to the Virgin River Gorge is old Hwy 91 from Beaver Dam to Santa Clara. Goes over the mountains. Along the route near the AZ/UT line is a fun dirt road called the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway, that has nice views.

5. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 13:06
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

The section of I-15 mentioned by Places is an ongiong project that will continue for some time. If you are using mapping to plot your drive times then you can expect some delays. When we were through last month, there was an accident in the opposite directional lane. The traffic was backed up through the flat desert of Nevada for several miles.

Good info about visiting the parks. In Bryce, you might as well eat at whatever place you come across, as there are no real favorite restaurants among forum contributors. I usually eat at Rubys Inn, though we tried the restaurant at Bryce Canyon Resort, which is out on SR 12.

At zion, use www.zionpark.com and look for the restaurant tab. There are many good restaurants with varying cuisines. Favorites posted here on the forum include Oscars, Bit and Spur, and Spotted Dog for an upscale experience.

Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

You should stop at The Valley of Fire State park just outside of Vegas. We stopped there on our way home after Zion. So amazing and tons of Indian Petroglyphs.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 19:14
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
542 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

Maybe we'll see you ... Pity you won't be in Bryce Saturday night, because the Night Sky program is running. Clear sky forecast, and the moon won't be up. 8000', very few light sources. Should be amazing.

9. Re: Zion & Bryce Next Week - What to see & do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park