We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrows - family

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Narrows - family

Hi, I was thinking of hiking the narrows with my family in the beginning of August. Can my 13 year old do it? Is it safe ? Thanks

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrows - family

Sure. Kids way younger than that have done it. In August, water is usually shin to knee deep, but there may be deeper holes.

As for safety, you need to keep an eye on the weather. If any thunderstorms are in the area, don't go. The backcountry desk at the visitor center has weather info.

If you want to rent water shoes and hiking stick, a few outfitters in town do rentals.

www.zionadventures.com

Narrows info from the NPS site.

nps.gov/zion/…hikingthenarrows.htm

Edited: 05 May 2014, 18:27
Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrows - family

awesome Thank You!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrows - family

You'll be hiking on greased bowling bowls underwater. That makes those hiking shoes and neoprene socks really important. If you can rent them the night before they have a good video you can watch for hiking tips.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrows - family

A 13-year-old should have no problems. Get the right shoes and walking poles to help balance. As noted, the main safety issue is rising water levels, but if the forecast is clear, you'll be fine.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrows - family

Thank You for the feedback. Just a little concerned about the mention of walking On Greasy Bowling Balls? How can that be fun?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrows - family

Just slippery rocks. The hike is very fun, you'll see! Probably one of the more popular trails in the park system. Check out the pics in here.

www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/narrowsday.cfm

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrows - family

There are two main turn around points. First is the required turn around at Big Springs about 5 miles in. Another is Orderville canyon which is a great side canyon to explore that is about two miles in. But don't feel any pressure to get to either. You can turn around anywhere you feel like you've had enough. It is a great summer hike.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrows - family

A couple things - first, the Narrows should be no problem for a 13 year old. My (at the time) 7 and 9 year old kids did the walk up the Narrows a couple years back and loved it. It was their favorite walk we did all summer (we did a bunch...probably too many...but this is the one they want to do again). The 7 year old - who is really short for her age - and I turned around at Orderville after a short walk up that canyon. My oldest continued on to Big Springs with his dad. He was really tired on the way back, but he made it just fine. My daughter is still talking about going back and doing "Wall Street" like her big brother. LOL!

As others have suggested, I'd be sure to rent the water boots and hiking stick from one of the outfitters in Springdale and go through their little orientation. They also go over expected water conditions with you and warn about flash flooding and such. The outfitters also rent dry bags, for your delicate gear. A really, really good idea. Oh, and that remote for your car? Make sure it is in the dry bag. <- guess why I mention this?

The walk *is* like walking on wet bowling balls, but it is also one of the prettiest, most awe-inspiring walks I've taken and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! You do get used to the odd footing, but the walking sticks really help. But it does tire you out more than just walking on the flat, so realize if your child starts to look a little tired it's probably past time to turn around...you're only half way there when you head back!

All of that said, it is a don't-miss in my opinion. Hope you have a great time!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narrows - family

Thank You...very nice website

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply