We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type of shoes on easier hikes

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Type of shoes on easier hikes

Hi everyone,

I am making some last minute plans to visit Zion. I'm planning on doing the following hikes: Emerald Pools (at least lower, maybe middle), Riverside Walk, Weeping Rock.

Because this is a last minute plan, I currently don't have any shoes with decent traction available. I have some sneakers with a rubber sole, but not any noteworthy traction.

Would this be a problem, or will it be fine? I'm a 26y/o guy and not an experienced hiker (hence I'll be doing some of the easier hikes).

Many thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

You will be fine with what you have.

Riverside walk is paved,relatively flat and wheelchair accessable.

Weeping Rock is paved.Takes just a few minutes to do.

Lower Emerald trail is dirt, but easily done.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

Thanks for your reply!

I think I'll just go with the shoes that I'm comfortable in then, instead of buying shoes now that I will be uncomfortable in while I'm there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

Definitely wear shoes that are comfortable, rather than buy new ones that are not yet worn in.

Have fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
933 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

I agree with Deb that if you're okay with the wear and tear sneakers will probably be okay if the weather is dry, but you might have trouble with the slickrock if it rains. You might want to make sure with a Ranger. Something else to keep in mind: the iron in the red rock can permeate your socks and footwear, so don't use anything that you wouldn't mind getting a permanent orange tinge just in case.

You have most of the major easy hikes covered. I would discuss with a ranger first, but if they agree your footwear is okay and you're steady on your feet and don't have issues with heights, I would also definitely drive out of the Canyon to East Zion and do the easy but sometimes dropoff skirting Canyon Overlook, which ends with an iconic view of the park.

The Watchman Trail is also a pleasant pre or post dinner hike as long as you get back to the shuttle before dark, although a cut below the other easy to moderate trails. It's a nice prologue or epilogue to Zion hiking - just don't do it in midday heat.

PA
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

I hiked all Utah's national parks in year-old sneakers / tennis shoes with no problems. Just be careful if doing any scrambling over loose rock or when in wet conditions. The Keyenta Trail connects to Emerald Pools & is a easy & scenic hike to consider in addition to the ones you mentioned. Have fun!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

Don't ever buy new shoes for vacation hiking, no matter wear you're going. The best shoes are the ones you have worn and are comfortable on your feet.

7. Re: Type of shoes on easier hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:16