We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

My wife and I (early 30s and in good shape) are traveling to Vegas over Easter in April of 2015. On our past visits to Vegas we have done an overnight to Grand Canyon and a day trip to Death Valley. This trip we will do a day trip to Zion. We plan to leave Vegas around 6a and hope to be back to Vegas around 7p. We want to include the Angel's Landing Hike which I am figuring will take us 4-4.5 hours. I am looking for suggestions as to how to make the best use of our remaining time (I realize that we will not have a lot after the drive and hike).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
818 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

Personally, there is so much to do in Zion that I would give it it's own trip along with Bryce Canyon and a stop at Red Canyon in between instead of daytripping from Vegas. As you've said, you really wouldn't be able to do much else at all - maybe have a bite at the Red Rock Grill and quick photo ops of the Three Patriarchs, West Temple and Watchman - not to mention you would probably want to leave Vegas before dawn to get Angel's Landing done before midday as usually seems to be recommended.

Have you done the Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon yet? From what I've read, I believe they're about an hour and 1/2 hour out of Vegas respectively, and would make much better Vegas daytrips.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

Welcome to the Forum

Seeing as you are projecting leaving Las Vegas at 6am, that would put you in Springdale at about 10am local time. Parking, orientation to the shuttle, and the ride up to the West Rim trailhead will take another hour of your time, so you will not likely be starting on the West Rim trail up to Scout Lookout until 11. April weather will not be as obviously hot as it would this time of the year. Hiking the West Rim Trail to AL is usually recommended for the mornings so one can beat the heat of the day. In your case you will be alright.

So if you arrive back at the shuttle stop by about 3pm, you do not have a lot of time left if you want to be in your car heading back to Vegas by 5pm. Simply completing the shuttle route of the main canyon will chew up another hour of your time. My suggestion would be to walk along the river on Riverside Walk on the far north end of the shuttle route at the Temple of Sinawava. This easy walkway showcases some of the best of the parks features. As a bonus, this walkway will give you a good feel as to what the Narrows is like, another one of the parks well known hikes.

On the other hand, you may want to opt for what Bardgirl has stated, quick lunch at the lodge, the photo of the well known West Temple behing the historuy museum, and a stop at the visitor center before departing.

3. Re: Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 13:35
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

I'd spend some time sitting on the lawn at the lodge maybe with an ice cream cone, then head into Springdale for something to eat.

5. Re: Vegas DayTrip with Angel's Landing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:16