We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
9 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

My family and I are visiting the florida panhandle in July. I know this is typically a busy season to visit. We have 2 children (10 & 6). We are looking for a rental and a beach that is not too crowded. My husband would like to be able to fish off the beach or close to a pier. We aren't looking for amusement parks - we're looking for old fashion laid back fun! We have visited the Destin area before and although it is nice, it was a little too crowded for us. Thanks for any advice.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,335 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

We love the area around Seagrove Beach and Seaside. We came to Destin for over 15 years then the past 15 years have come to Seagrove. No high rises, families, bike trails, and nice restaurants.

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Navarre Beach is very nice and not crowded at all.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Anything other than Destin proper will be more laid back and less crowded than Destin.

I will add Pensacola Beach (and the surrounding Gulf Islands National Seashore, miles of windswept sand and sea) to these recommendations.

Very nice beach.

The Pier.

Fewer hotels and rentals, should be less crowded.

The Blue Angels and the Naval Aviation Museum.

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Looking to spend a few days in Panhandle area. Any suggestions welcome. thanks to all.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

I think St. George Island is just what you are looking for. Also consider Cape San Blas, but I have never been there.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
9 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Thanks for all the replies...on another thought...how do the Georgia beaches compare to the Florida gulf beaches (or do they?). It is about the same driving distance for us. Thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Hitlon Head is great as is Amelia Island, FL on the Atlantic side. Beaches and water aren't nearly as pretty but better waves for playing in and much cooler breezes during the day at the beach.

Bessemer, Alabama
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Try Mexico Beach - it is a great place for family and kids. Very local oriented - no McDonald's etc.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

Try St George Island, it is about a 2 hour drive from Destin. Wonderful beach, not crowded, has restaurants and a small grocery with fresh meats. 2 seafood trucks sell fresh right out of the water seafood. Appalachicola is over the bridge to the mainland and then over the bay bridge, old Florida fishing village. Lots of places to fish in the area.

10. Re: Best Panhandle Beach for family - non touristy!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:16