We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

Our family (parents with a 12 and 14-yr-old) will travel late next week from the midwest to Florida for the first time, via Amtrak "City of New Orleans". We plan to divide our drive into two days, with a stop-over on the panhandle (hopefully about halfway between N.O. and St. Augustine/Crescent Beach area) before heading North to highway 10 for quicker traveling . Although we don't have much time in the panhandle, we'd like to check out a nice and not-too-crowded beach with a lifeguard. We're hoping to get some recommendations for a nice hotel and a beach for a short visit, also any must-sees.

Are red flags, Jellyfish and large amounts of seaweed everywhere now? Seems like I've been reading a lot about these things on TA. Thanks so very much for any recommendations and tips you can provide!

texas
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

We were in Pensacola Beach last week. No jelly fish. Had yellow flags 3 days and green one day. Also not that far off of I10 to get back on the road. Not sure about any life guard beaches there though.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

ndw: Thanks very much for the info! Pensacola seems really nice; however, we're hoping to stop at a beach closer to the halfway point and a hotel. Unfortunately, we're crunched for time as we want to be in St. Augustine by late afternoon Saturday, and we're leaving NOLA on Friday. :-(

Can anyone advise if the drive from NOLA over to Grayton Beach or Panama City Beach is scenic enough to justify the extra time along 98? Or should we take hwy 10 from NOLA and go South at some point to 30A beaches?

I really appreciate any advice!

texas
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

As I said we were in Pensacola so did not make it as far as you, but I will give you one thought.Since most condos have check ins and outs on Saturday , I am guessing that 98 will be very crowded with people maybe going to condos and leaving them. I would try to get out on Saturday and get straight to I 10 as fast as you can for rest of trip. Just my thoughts on it. Maybe someone will know for sure. I will say that when we were there we had some friends stay at the Destin area and said traffic was a nightmare all day, so not sure if since you want to see beach you would just be better getting somewhere and have a hotel along the beach to enjoy. Have a great time. I LOVE NOLA

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

ndw: Really appreciate your advice. I've been a little worried about traffic on 98, and think your suggestion for a quick jaunt to I-10 on Saturday is wise. Just wish we had more time to explore NOLA. (last minute change in travel plans is to blame)... Guess we'll have to visit again! Thanks for your thoughts.

texas
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

Yes, NOLA is a trip in itself. Definitely worth 4 days at least to just get some things seen.

6. Re: Newbies Need Advice: New Orleans to St. Augustine area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:17