We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

I get confused by TA policies at times cause to me, it makes sense to find a similar post to what I'd like to ask and continue the discussion there instead of starting multiple posts all asking the same thing. However, when I've done that before, I've been told to start my own post. Therefore, I apologize for the repetitive nature of my questions.

A friend of mine (widow) and I would like to vacation somewhere warm, beachy, kid friendly and safe either this fall or next spring. Through research, I'm considering Florida and specifically the gulf as apparently, the beaches and water are better than the Atlantic.

I'm from Western Canada (Vancouver) and now in Toronto. I have never been to Florida so need advice. Thank you in advance for all help and suggestions.

I understand there are quite a few resort towns like Seaside, Blue Mountain, Watercolor, etc., and wondered which or if any, would be recommended. I think a 2 - 3 bdrm condo/cottage or nice resort/hotel would be nice. I'd like to spend about $200-250 night each max. Is this doable? At Watercolors it appears not.

I'd like to be walking to a beach, heated pool, kitchen or kitchenette in suite as eating out 3 times a day with 2 toddlers? No thanks! Near to other activities for when not on beach or weather/mood isn't up for more beach or pool, decent dining options and access to babysitting services or a kids club would be great. I want my friend to enjoy herself and sometimes moms need "me" time and girl time.

I am a little picky and have spent $500 night on hotel rooms but Canada can be pricey. I don't want to be crazy spending money nor force my friend to spend too much. However- cleanliness is number one priority.

Any advice? Suggestions? Stay away froms??? Please help.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

Are you dead set on the Panhandle region of Florida? The Gulf coast is much more than the Panhandle section. So if you would consider another part, look at this website for SunTide Island Beach Resort on Lido Key which is off Sarasota.

http://suntideislandbeachclub.com/

While it is a timeshare facility, they do rent by the night as the rates on the website shows. We just came back from there (been there for the last 4 years), had lovely weather, saw dolphins in the water early mornings (8 am) and the sunsets are spectacular.

It's a relatively small property so you don't feel like there's tons of people around.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

Thank you. I looked at the place you suggested and while it looks great for an adult vacation, it's not too toddler friendly.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

Also look at Anna Maria Island. Very kid friendly. Nice beaches, white sand, kid friendly restaurants, and lots to do. The free trolley will take you anywhere on the island. Look at LaCosta for beach front, or Palm Tree Villas, Sunset Villas for close to beach. Lots of other choices as well.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
564 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

Have you looked into Sandestin? I think it would check all your boxes. It can get pricey, but try to go in the off-season - September and October, and even early November, are great times to be there.

5. Re: 2 moms with 3 year olds-where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 10:15