We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

If we spend our first night in the Boone area and the other 2 or 3 nights in Maggie Valley. What do you think of this plan?

Could we take a whole day 8 - 10 hours to just meandering down the Blue Ridge Parkway stopping and enjoying the scenery along the way like Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mtn, Linville Falls, and Mount Mitchell and stopping at the pull outs to take lots of pictures of the beautiful foliage.

Or should we stay in the Boone area for 2 nights take a day to meander up from the Spartanville, SC Airport, next day take in the sights in the northern part of the Parkway, then meander down spening 2 nights in the Maggie Valley area, again taking the next full day to explore the southern part of the park way.

I'd also like to make it into the Smokey Mountain NP and should we not miss he Cherohala Skyway?

I know so many questions just to squeeze as much as we can in the short period of time we have. We don't mind being in the car alot getting in and out all day.

Thanks again. Laura

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

Your logistics are a bit confusing but if I were doing the driving I would drive to Boone from the Greenville-Spartanburg airport and take in the sights there. That will allow you to then decide what time allotment would work best. You may find some attractions there that would entice you to stay longer.

As for the trip south from Boone...an 8-10 hr trip is not too long. There are so many sights as you have mentioned a few that will prove to be enjoyable. Eventuall you can easily exit the Parkway near Maggie Valley.

One thought to consider is that it is a long drive to Robbinsville to visit Cherohala Skyway so give yourself plenty of time. Not too much else out that way other then the Nantahala River which you may enjoy.

Good luck.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

There IS a Sparta, NC, but I'm assuming you meant Spartanburg, SC.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

Yes, I meant Spartanburg, SC airport sorry Shanklemsw.

So, keepthosebags should we split our stay between Boone and Maggie Valley? Sorry I didn't write the airport correctly.

Thought splitting our stay between the two places would cut down on back tracking. When we were out west we traveled scenic by way 12 and took a better part of a day to just meander down to our next stop over and I thought I would check with the experts here to see if that was a good idea to just spend a whole day going from Boone to Maggie Valley. What should we not miss on the Parkway?

But still not sure if we should spend 2 nights or one in Boone? Then either 1 or 2 in Maggie Valley? If you only had 3 nights what would you do? And if you had 4 nights how would you play it out?

Thanks for the assistance in helping me plan this trip. Much appreciated. Wish we had more time to spend in the area but we don't with this trip.

Edited: 03 August 2011, 13:37
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

Read your recent post about staying in Bryson City. Hope this thread is still pertinent.

Generally speaking, seeing the BRP is best done by moving continually in whichever direction, not backtracking to some home base somewhere. I'd spend that first night in Boone, the second night in/outside Asheville (be sure to go up Mt Mitchell that day), and the third night in Maggie Valley. That's only about 80 miles each of those first two days on BRP, but you'd be surprised how fast the time gets away from you if you're stopping at overlooks to enjoy the view and take pictures. And it is a slow-speed road after all.

Day three take the side trip into the Smokies to Balsam Mtn; where the paved two-way road ends, you've got a nice wide level path out to Heintooga Overlook. Return the way you came; you may get an up-close look at an elk along the way.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

Thanks Smokies Hiker for the what not to miss list.

I have already booked our lodging before your post. We are doing our first night in Boone, then I rented a cabin in Bryson City for the remainder of our 4 night stay.

My current plan is to take our time going up the BRP to Boone from the Greenville/Spartunburg, SC airport, perhaps we will look into going up Mt. Mitchell enroute to Boone. Do you think that is a good idea. We have a very early flight our first day so we aren't going to do to too much perhaps one or two things. There is a short hike from where we are staying to some cascades so I think we will also do that after our arrival. On 2nd day we planned on taking the day to travel back down the BRP stopping at Grandfather Mtn. for sure and just pulling in and out of the scenic pull overs as we feel. We can't check in to our cabin till 4 so if it takes us all day to get to Bryson that's fine with us.

I will also put Balsams Mt on my list to look at.

Any other suggestions on where to stop and what not to miss along the way?

thanks for any and all suggestions. I am looking forward to this getway and seeing the beautiful mountains of NC and the SMNP.

6. Re: Can you spend the day meandering from Sparta to Maggie Vally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:17