We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backup plan for a rainy vacation :(

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Backup plan for a rainy vacation :(

We are leaving for N.C. (from Florida) for a 5 day vacation on Thursday. Our home base will be in Franklin. Our trip includes "Unto These Hills" in Cherokee on Friday night, Tubing and Zip Lining in Helen, GA. on Saturday, Pontoon boat on Lake Fontana on Sunday, Whitewater rafting and Gatlinburg on Monday and a Franklin to Highlands to wherever drive on Tuesday.

Can anyone suggest a back up plan for any of these days in the event of rain? I don't think the Biltmore interests any of us, but it seems that everything is going to entail getting rained on! We are a group of six 50'ish year olds and our 20ish year old "kids".

Thanks in advance :)

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backup plan for a rainy vacation :(

LoriKim,

Rafting and tubing in the rain is fun. You will have a little more water and if you Are like me you will get good and wet anyhow. The Cherokee drama will not be called to the last minute. In that area it may rain the other side of the mountian but not this side. If it rains out check out the museum in Cherokee. If you get rained out of outdoor activity take the time to check out the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. They have a bunch of old motorcycles and my wife really liked it. We too are 50'ish kids.

In Gatlinburg you can always check out the shops in town or do some shows in Gatlinburg or the Pigeon Forge area. You can also drive the Cades Cove loop road.

I think you will find plenty to do working around the rain. Rmember a bad day of vacation is better than a good day at work.

John

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backup plan for a rainy vacation :(

Usually rain this time of year means brief showers that last only a short while. It's rather unusual to have days that are total washouts.

3. Re: Backup plan for a rainy vacation :(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 04:16