We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

2 weeks mid-Oct- 10/25

Fly DC drive Shenendoah, then Blue Ridge Parkway. Probably SC.

Suggest time, best b&b & best restaurants.

And best sightseeing.

Coast or Interstate depending on suggested time.

Thanks,

Betty

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

I think you have no response because your post is vague.

<Time> do you want us to tell you how much time you should spend?

<best b7b and restaurants> Where? On Interstate 81? The Parkway?

<Probably SC> South Carolina is not as big as North Carolina but could you be more specific? Where in SC do you want to visit?

<Coast or interstate depending on time> I have no idea what that means. Help us out and we can help you.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Sorry, I'm vague. Yes, do suggest timing and MUST SEE places to stop. No highways and no battle fields. Few places are listed to stay in Shenandoah, more in NC. Probably friends in Aiken, SC. Leisurely drive if possible, let me know if we need more time.

Thanks for any help and or ideas,

Betty

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

I'm still confused. The only way to drive the Shenandoah is on a highway. And without knowing what you consider a MUST SEE.

I like taking 29 through Virginia. You can go to Monticello. I can recommend that, not knowing anything about your tastes.

Did you post on the Virginia forum?

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Bettyboop2u--did you mean that you wanted to drive on Skyline Drive and then the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Abingdon, Va is a very nice, historic, quaint town. You might want to post in the VA forum or the roadtrip forum, too.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Check out http://www.abingdon.com/ .

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Yes, we would like to drive on the Skyway drvive and then the Blue Ridge Parkway. Is Skyline a highway? I would appreciate what is a MUST SEE, driving times per day and suggestions on B&'Bs or other nice lodgings.

Thanks,

Betty

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Prehaps I mean no freeways, not no highways.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

The park service puts out a brochure showing the entire Blue Ridge Pkwy and listing towns, attractions and lodgings. I believe they also have a web site. I don't know the Skyline, but even on the BRP it is hard to give you advice without more specifics. Are you hikers, or just leg stretchers at scenic overlooks? Do you like to stop at every overlook or just a few. Do you want to get off and explore the towns or just stick to the parkway? There is so much to see and do that you could spend a week just in the Blowing Rock, Boone, Banner Elk and LInville area, or the same in the Asheville area, or a week in the cherokee smoky mtn park area. There is so much to see, you need to decide what your priorities are.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
133 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary DC-Blue Ridge-SC

Thanks for your thoughts. My husband is a serious walker/hiker, but my health is only on the flats. I did download as you suggested & saw several walks I think I can do. Everything (B&B's) in Charlottesville is either booked or has a two day min. Did find a motel. Haven't booked Asheville or Cherokee yet.