We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

We are visiting some friends who live in Franklin in July. We like scenic drives, and light to moderate hiking. I found a lot of information on the Franklin webpage, but I'm wondering if there are any must-sees from this area in terms of hikes with great views/waterfalls or scenic drives (we aren't opposed to taking a full daytrip either). There is so much information out there that it is hard to sort through it all. Thanks in adavnce.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

I'm looking forward to the responses. We'll be nearby in April, with the same interests.I've been told that one of the most scenic drives in NC is from Franklin south. I'm still trying to decide if we take that one, or a straighter one. Depends on how late in the day it is for us. There have been a few posts lately about this area. Some websites with hiking and waterfall info have been posted too. How long will you be there? We'll be south, at Scaly Mountain for three days.

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

We will be there 4 nights/5 days.

I found a lot of info on the franklin chamber of commerce website, but I can't tell which hikes/waterfalls are "good" and there are so many to choose from.

http://franklin-chamber.com/

I also don't know the distances to various places from Franklin and a lot of the hiking trails don't have an address that I can plug into mapquest. I'm interested in going to the Smoky Mts Nat'l Park, and there are a lot of trails and attractions listed, but I'm not sure how far away they are from franklin.

Is the drive you mentioned on a particular road/route? What is it called?

Edited: 24 February 2012, 20:27
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

I'm hoping the locals can give us more info. There are a number of routes from Franklin to Scaly Mountain onto Highlands that I don't want to give you the wrong info. I had a post earlier tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1438847-i12759-k5… that talks about some of this. My guess that it's the hwy 64/28 route, but I'm not sure. I found the name Mountain Waters Scenic Drive in several searches.

I don't know if you've driven in the mountains, I'm not sure where you're from, but we're from WI, known to be relatively flat with straight roads. Get from A to B rather quickly. Mountains don't let you do that.

What say you North Carolinians?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

Scenic Drives

1. Hwy. 28 from Franklin to Highlands.

2. Hwy. 64 from Highlands to Brevard.

3. Hwy. 215 from Rosman to Waynesville.

4. Hwy. 276 fro Brevard to Waynesville.

5 Hwy. 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg.

6. Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Cherokee.

Waterfalls

1. Bridal Vail Falls near Highlands.

2. Dry Falls near Highlands.

3. Soco Falls near Maggie Valley.

4. Mingo Falls near Cherokee.

5. Cullasaja Falls near Franklin.

6. Glen Falls near Highlands.

7. Falls of Deep Creek near Bryson City.

Trails

1. Trails at Standing Indian Campground 20 miles west of Franklin off of hwy. 64.

2. Appalachain Trail west of Franklin.

3. Trails at Deep Creek near Bryson City.

I also suggest gem mining near Franklin. Take a drive up the mountain to see the Wayah Fire Tower.

Do a google on these I have listed.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

I forgot my favorite Scenic drive. Wayah Road from Franklin to Beechertown.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

Thanks so much. Now for those of us not used to mountain driving, is the hwy 28 drive the one they mention as a bit nerve-wracking? If so, I'm thinking we'll save parts of that for the next day. I believe I was told that the 441/23 road is straighter and wider. That's probably the one we'd used coming from the north to get to Scaly mountain as I believe we'll be arriving at dusk. I want to take the scenic routes too, but not after driving 650 miles.

Now for the next question: Soda or Pop?? In Wisconsin, south of Green Bay it's soda, north it's pop, my sister in Atlanta tells me there that it's all Coke, no matter what type of soda you're drinking.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

Hwy. 28 is the "nerve wracking" one. I would not try that at night. On the other hand 246/106 that you will take off 441 to get to Scaly Mountain is no cake-walk. It has many curves but is a wider road. I would try to get there before dark.

I am from Michigan its pop. In the south its soda ha.

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

Thank you everyone for the replies and the wealth of information. I'll do more research based on the advice here.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

KMK, when I was looking at waterfall information, I realized you have to watch the round trip times for seeing them. I don't remember which one sounded good, but it was a 90 minute one way hike. We like hiking, but I think I'll stick to one's easier to get to. At that pace, we'd only see a couple of them.

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking and scenic drives near Franklin

Yes, that's a good point. Time to do some googling!