We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on day hikes around Asheville please

Coral Gables
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on day hikes around Asheville please

We like taking moderate day hikes that are scenic. Any advice on which hikes you recommend? Thanks.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on day hikes around Asheville please

I'd be happy to suggest several possibilities if you can clarify your definitions "moderate" and "around" Asheville. What regular hikers in consider "moderate" altitude changes may overwhelm some folks from Florida, where the elevation change from sea level to the tallest point in the state is less than the elevation change from my doorstep to the bottom of my driveway .

Generally , to get "moderate" elevation changes you either have to hike along a river or creek , which is usually cooler and can be quite scenic, i.e., the multiple waterfalls of the Little river in Dupont State Forest, or you have to climb to and then hike along a ridge line, e.g, the 360 views from Big Bald on the AT north of Asheville.

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on day hikes around Asheville please

Our plan for moderate hikes includes seeing the waterfalls at Dupont State Forest. (6 major falls). Heres a link:

hikewnc.info/trailheads/…dsfwaterfalls.html

Also, here's a link I like to use which includes descriptions of other hikes in the area:

http://www.romanticasheville.com/hiking.html

3. Re: Advice on day hikes around Asheville please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17