We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

NYC
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

My husband & I are looking to travel to the NC mountains over Columbus Day weekend. We have never been & are thinking we will fly into Charlotte & stay nearby for the first night. Then leave Saturday AM and head to the mountains for 2 nights. We love scenic drives, good food, hiking, wine, music and cute towns. We are looking for a short luxury weekend to get away from city life. If anyone has any suggestions on where to stay (beautiful views vs staying near town) or things to do, we would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

What is your budget?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

To begin with, your weekend is quickly approaching and it is leaf color season., plus being a holiday weekend

Since the flight is an easy one into Charlotte, and the airport is on the mountains side of CLT., you should just come directly up to the mountains. If you choose Blowing Rock/ Boone or Asheville, it is only a 2 hour drive time.

I hope you will have a choice of where to stay, depending on availability.

For upscale there is Gideon Ridge, Westglow Resort and Spa, Chetola Resort, Inn at Crestwood, Azalea Garden Inn in Blowing Rock.

Some have views.

Asheville has Grand Bohemian Hotel, Biltmore Estate, Grove Park Inn and Black Walnut Inn.

romanticasheville.com/BlueRidgeParkway.htm

http://www.highcountryoutdoors.com/hike.htm

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.grandfather.com

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

www.highcountryhiking.com

http://www.ourstate.com/app

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

I think Blowing Rock would be your best bet. It is a relatively easy drive from the airport-less than two hours, and the offerings around the airport are not so hot. Queenie gave you some excellent choices. I would add the Green Park Inn. It has been newly restored and has a new and talented chef. Also, the Inn at Ragged Garden is quite nice and has music on the lawn on Friday's starting about 5:00.There are any number of good hikes nearby and the Parkway is particularly scenic, especially to the south. There will be plenty to do in the area that weekend, and always good dining and people watching. It will be near peak season so make your resservations quickly.

NYC
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

Thank you! This is all very helpful. I will do more research tonight. We are not able to book the trip until tomorrow afternoon & understand it is last minute.

I didn't think the leaves would be peaking yet! That is very exciting to hear! We live in NYC and the leaves don't typically peak for another 6-8 weeks.

Is the drive out to them mountains difficult at night? We won't be landing until around 8-9pm and I don't want to make my husband have too difficult of a drive.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

The drive is an easy one. Well marked and the roads lead away from the city.

I-77 N to I-85 S; US 321 N to Blowing Rock. From South Charlotte: 485 W to I-85; US 321 to Blowing Rock. Depending on what you decide to do about night 1.

Oct. 6 is also "Art in the Park" in Blowing Rock. Excellent craft show.

NYC
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

Awesome! I think we will just do the drive then Friday night after we land. The Inn at Crestwood has availabilty but it's their lowest category room. I would prefer to have a balcony that over looks the mountains. I will take a closer look this evening at options.

Also, any food suggestions, wineries, things to do...would be great! My husband is trying to convince me to go white water rafting but I am sooo nervous.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

Inn at Crestwood is very nice. It is on Shull's Mill Rd. which is very windy and a litte unnerving at night. Green Park Inn and Gideon's Ridge are just inside the entry to town and would save you about 15 minutes of night driving. Green Park is not as nice 9 more old fashioned ) but it could have some rooms overlooking the BRCC golf course and beyond. Gideon Ridge is probably the most romantic.

White water rafting is quite fun but it requires about a 90 minute drive to Tennessee and back so it is basically a full day. I would save that for a trip when you have more time.

Two excellent restaurants on the aforementioned Shull's Mill Rd. are The gamekeeper and the Table at Crestwood. The latter is particularly nice if the weather permits outdoor dining. In town, my favorites are Bistro roca, Twigs, and Crippins. Green Park and gideon ridge both have very nice restaurants as well as Rowand's at Westglow Resort and Spa.

The only winery I am at all familiar with is Banner Elk Winery in Banner Elk.

It has an adjoining Inn and very nice proprietors and the wine is pretty decent too. Don't know about tours

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

www.visitncwine.com

www.ourstate.com/yadkin-valley-wine

visitnc.com/journeys/articles/fall-color-l-f…

As far as dining choices, this would depend on what you like.

In the Blowing Rock area there is Crippens, Storie Street Grill( back deck also), Bistro Roca( on the back porch), Timberlake's at Chetola, Twigs, Woodlands Bar B Que, Rowlands at Westglow Resort, Village Cafe (lunch/breakfast), Green Park Inn Restaurant. Mellow Mushroom Pizza. If you stay at Crestwood, they have a restaurant (?) and there is Gamekeeper, nearby.

In Boone, there is Hob Nob Cafe, Char, Vidalia. There is a small, local place, Joe's Italian Kitchen and Jazzed Up Joe's. Not fancy, but made from scratch Italian specialties.

If reservations are available, I suggest making them.

NYC
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

Great suggestions! Anyone have any info on the Grove Park Inn? They have availability....

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbus Day Weekend - need help!

That is in Asheville. Sorry but limited information on that.