We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC This Time

Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
NC This Time

After three trips last year to the Tennessee Smokies, we are ready to explore the other side (possibly with a 2 day trip to the coast?). The Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg cabin selections were so overwhelming! So many with all of the things we wanted: hot tub, mountain view, nice leather furniture, game tables, and some even with swimming pool access. The North Carolina cabins? Ehh. Am I overlooking some great finds? Not many have hot tubs, rarely do they have games, and generally appear outdated. I know I'm picky, but this is our one and only family vacation this year and I want it to be fun and memorable. We are a family of four with 9 year old twins. I prefer owner managed rentals and have been searching VRBO. Any suggestions?

NC
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NC This Time

We have always had the same issue, which is why we continue to rent cabins in the Gatlingburg/PF area. When we rent a cabin, the game room is a must for us and that just doesn't seem to be very popular in our NC mtns. Also, I have found that the NC mtn cabins are much more expensive than in the Gatlingburg/PF area. We were looking to stay in a cabin back in Nov, but I could not find a single cabin that had everything we're used to or the price that we were willing to pay.

Like you, we use VRBO as much as possible. I had finally found a cabin that I thought might be ok for us for just the 3 days, but unfortunately, I had the pleasure of dealing with the most rude owner I had ever dealt with on VRBO. She was rude and had no email etiquitte at all. Needless to say, we did not rent from her.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NC This Time

In what area are you looking? There are a number of VRBO offerings in the Boone/Blowing Rock area that would seem to meet most of your requirements.

Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NC This Time

I've not specifically searched those locations, but will. I'd like to visit Pisgah Forrest, Mingo Falls, the Deep Creek area. We like moderate hikes and the kids like swimming in the creeks. Might go river texting this time, which I think is around Bryson City. Considering The Biltmore, so really need to save the traveling time we'd have staying in Gatlingburg or PF.

Missouri
Level Contributor
118 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NC This Time

You're right, Jenn! The NC cabins are more expensive!

NC
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NC This Time

I'm assuming they are more because there isn't as much competition here as there is in GB/PF. Without the competition, they will charge more.

You never know what you might find though.....there could be a great one out there waiting for you!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NC This Time

Look in the Maggie Valley area. There are lots of cabins. You should be able to find one that you like and it is still reasonably close to the NC side of the Smokies. I'm sure you'll find the traffic much better than Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge. But, the shopping and related attractions are much more limited, which is just fine with me.

7. Re: NC This Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:16