We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in April

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in April

Hello everyone!

I am planning a road trip for the end of April. I am coming from Toronto, Ontario. One of our first stops before reaching the coast is Ashville. I was wondering if anyone had any input about the weather conditions around that time or the best route to take? The suggested routes are I79, I75, or I77 South. Both I79 and I77 are basically the same going through West Virgina. I75 goes through Kentucky and over. Any input would be appreciated:) I will be posting in the road trip forum as well and the other cities. The date specifically will be around the 17th of April. The fastest time doesn't matter as much as whatever highway would have the better weather conditions through the mountains at that time. Thanks Again!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in April

Regarding weather, you should be fine. It's possible to have freezing temperatures in mid-April, but it's very rare that we would see any major winter storms that late. If you did have a problem, it would likely be a rain event followed by an overnight frost at very high elevations that could make roads hazardous. Even if that happened, it would likely warm up by mid-morning so the roads would be fine. I think you're safe to plan your trip for that time. Statistically the odds are very much in your favor.

Sorry I can't help much with your route questions. I can say that the I-77 to I-81 to I-26 route is relatively uncrowded, and the scenery is beautiful. I don't know how it compares to the I-75 route from your starting point.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in April

Fog! That would be the main consideration and that can happen anytime of year. I-77 near Fancy Gap is particularly prone to it, but I don't think you'd necessarily be on 77 that far south. You'd probably pick up I-81 near Wytheville. Do pay attention to forecasts and the electronic warning signs they have posted. Fog can come up pretty quickly particularly on that more southerly section of I-77 and be almost zero-visibility, but I don't think I-81 is particularly bad for it. I've run into fog many times in the mountains, but far more often I've had clear blue skies and beautiful driving conditions.

You could run into a bit of snow, but not usual in NC in April. It does happen occasionally, though, so it's good to pay attention to the forecasts.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in April

Thank you for your replies! I have indeed encountered the fog driving in the summer months and the crazy rain.

4. Re: Driving in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:19