We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smokey mountain diversion from Toronto

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Smokey mountain diversion from Toronto

Tired of fast drive Toronto to Sarasota in October each year

Thinking of a different schedule that would involve Fall colors in Smokey mountains and pleasant place to stop enroute. Suggestions?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smokey mountain diversion from Toronto

A couple of suggestions:

1) Take I-77 to I-81 south in Virginia, then I-26 south to Asheville. It's a fun city to explore, and when you're done you can take I-26 south to connect with I-95.

2) Take I-77 to exit 8 in Virginia, then left on VA 148, right on US 52 to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fancy Gap. Follow to Boone or Blowing Rock, NC to spend the night. From there, you can either continue on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville where you can pick up I-26 (highly recommended), or take US 321 south to I-85 in Gastonia, NC, then east to I-77 in Charlotte.

Note that October is one of the most popular times to be in the NC mountains, so make your reservations early!

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smokey mountain diversion from Toronto

If you prefer taking 1-85 to Sarasota, from Asheville you can head west and see and do all sorts of things before winding your way to Franklin, NC and a very pleasant drive south on US 441 through Rabun Gap, the Tallulah Gorge and eventually I-985 along Lake Lanier to the northeast side of Atlanta. If you don't want to see Atlanta ( Georgia Aquarium, etc.) , take the loop around the east side of Atlanta to I-75 and head south .

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smokey mountain diversion from Toronto

^ Good suggestion Mangonboat. I drove that way up from Atlanta last weekend. To the OP, if you have the time to take this route, it's definitely worthwhile. Great scenery, and some interesting mountain shops along the way. Beats the interstate, for sure!

4. Re: Smokey mountain diversion from Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:17