We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Hello!

I have just made plans for a 9 day trip from Portland to San Francisco at the end of May into June Any advice on must see sights for a couple of 40 somethings without the kids along ;) would be appreciated. We LOVE seafood so good advice on where and what! (thank you)

I think I have mapped out a good paced trip - but I hope I have not signed us up for too much driving (rented a convertible - yeah - hope it doesn't rain too much!) ?

We would also like to hike a of couple of trails per day - 1-3 miles round trip - easy hiking.

Day 1 - arrive in Portland mid day

Day 2 - drive to Cannon Beach

Day 3 - drive to Yachats

Day 4 - drive to Gold beach

Day 5 - drive to Blue Lake(Arcata area) redwoods

Day 6 - drive to Garberville/redwoods

Day 7 - drive to Mendecino

Day 8 - drive to San Francisco

Day 9 - snif! fly out

Thank you!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

It takes either great optimism or a lot of guts to rent a convertible for a tour of Oregon! Lotsa luck!

I'll let the coastal gurus make their suggestions, but my thoughts would be to just drive through Cannon Beach and get to Yachats or Newport and spend a couple of nights in that area of the central coast ; and also spend two nights at Gold Beach, allowing you to do the jetboat trip up the Rogue River. You can make up that extra day by skipping the Arcata overnight and going right through to Garberville and staying, perhaps, at the Benbow Inn.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Hey now, I own a convertible and actually have the top down a lot ;-)

Kateverod, you have planned a short driving time each day, which is good, as long as you don't mind moving each night? It will allow you to spend time visiting attractions and hiking.

CAnnon Beach would have to be Ecola State Park. Easy hiking, part of it on an old road, part along the cliff top.

Yachats - o'poppa hikes a lot just south of there . . . he can suggest some hikes . . .

Gold Beach - I'm trying to think of where, but since I am not a hiker it's not easy, LOL. Although you could stop on the way and go out to Cape Blanco, it's quite pretty and there are some trails there.

Now, if you want to see redwoods, you *must* take Howland Hill Road in Crescent City. You can also hike along it and/or out from Stout Grove:

redwoodhikes.com/Jed%20Smith/Jed%20Smith.html

Also, look at Fern Canyon: http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476

Question - how did you pick Blue Lake? Might take a look at Trinidad.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Our fav restaurant with fresh seafood daily is McCormick and Schmidts harborside. (http://mccormickandschmicks.com ) They are on the waterfront and have great views and great seafood. They have several other venues as good but dining on the water is always special.

Edited: 28 January 2010, 22:59
Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Thanks half-Brit and everyone for the advice and links!!!! - and the positive thinking on the convertible. ;) Yes this trip we planned on moving every night - but hoped not too much driving so thank you for reviewing that.

I actually lived out near Blue Lake (Korbel actually) when I was young - so I thought a trip down memory lane might be fun!

Oregonpoppa - I will stay at Benbow!! - I checked the website and it look very nice! I think they had a package with dinner, brkfst, etc so I hope their restaurant is good!

Thanks for all of the great info!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Nobody's talked about food yet, right? ;-)

Portland - best seafood restaurant is probably Southpark Seafood Grill. But just about every restaurant in town has seafood on its menu, so you should also consider Wildwood or Higgin's. Both are Portland pioneers in farm-to-table, and have great food.

Cannon Beach - Newman @ 988 is, I think, the best restaurant in town, but you'll find the widest selection of seafood choices at Wayfarer.

Yachats - River House is a notch above the rest, in my opinion.

Gold Beach - hmmm..... Port Hole Cafe? Quintessential Oregon coast eatery, but don't expect too much.

And, to throw in a couple hiking suggestions.... Between Cannon Beach and Yachats, either the short walk along the beach to the old roadway carved out in Hug Point (if the tide's low), or the walk into Short Sands Beach at Oswald West State Park. And near Yachats, either the 804 Trail along the coastline north of town, or the Cape Perpetua trails: Captain Cook's and Trail of Restless Waters.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

make sure to visit the state parks near Coos Bay- Sunset Bay, Cape Arago and Shore Acres- a beautiful garden on the top of a cliff next to the ocean. Its a little off 101 but well worth the trip and great place to stretch the legs.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Newport, about 30 minutes north of Yachats - Local Ocean Seafoods. Really fresh seafood.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

Food at Benbow Inn is very good, but not inexpensive. Interesting place though--book rooms in the Historical Building. Recommend the Queen Corner Terrace. :-)

I can also recommend the Overleaf Lodge at Yachats. All the rooms are ocean front with great views. It sits on a bluff above the surf. Easy trail from the hotel down to the beach.

Re: rental of convertible--I have a Corvette with a T-top and have driven some places along the Oregon Coast without the top, but not very often and rarely in May or June. Several times we have left here (we are 50 miles up I-5 from Portland) on a very warm day and by the time we got 10 miles from the coast, we were putting on our sweatshirts and putting the t-tops back on the car. The Southern CA coast is great for convertibles. The Oregon Coast is absolutely beautiful, but not often really warm.

Edited: 29 January 2010, 07:34
9. Re: 9 day road trip PDX to OAK - best spot and other advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 05:17