We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really struggling to choose a hotel!

England
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Really struggling to choose a hotel!

I'm staying with a friend in Cannon Beach in August for three nights as part of a holidy from the UK and am really struggling to choose between Ocean Lodge, Schooner Cove and Surfsand.

My ideal room would have two beds, be comfortable, attractive and have a stunning ocean view.

I have looked very carefully at a range of posts and the websites of these places but wonder if anyone can enlighten me on a few points and maybe help sway me in a particular direction.

A number of hotels offer a fold up / settee / hide-a-way bed as the second bed. Has anyone out there used these as an adult? Does it spoil the stay to have the palava of working round the extra bed/putting it up etc?

Secondly Schooner Cove Lodge, according to this site, doesn't view the Haystack. This confuses me as I thought it was a whacking great rock in the middle of the beach. Is this lodge situated in a different bay?

Are all the hotels within reasonable walking distance of the centre of Cannon beach and does this matter?

Finally, the Surfsand website lists the majority of rooms with partial sea views yet the picture of the hotel shows lots of seaview rooms. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Really struggling to choose a hotel!

As someone who's drawn the short straw and had to spend too many nights on a pullout, I would opt for the one that has two queen or double beds ;-).

I like the Ocean Lodge a lot. It's in a quieter part of town, has a great view, and a nice Cape Cod, beachy sort of vibe to it. You will have to either have a long-ish walk to town (but very pleasant along the beach) or drive into town from there.

The Surfsand is also quite nice. The partial view rooms are probably in the buidlings that are behind the main building. You want to be in the main (oceanfront) building.

Schooner Cove is further north in CB while Haystack Rock is located towards the south end of the beach. So that may explain why their views are not of Haystack.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really struggling to choose a hotel!

We have stayed several times at the Seasprite. They have two locations.

Their newest property, next to the Ecola River, has an excellent two bedroom suite on the top floor of the 3 storey building. The beds are excellent. We absolutely love this room. The view is not of Haystack Rock (which you can enjoy from their two bedroom cottage at their original location which we have also stayed at several times and enjoy as well) but of the Ecola River going into the sea. Lovely deck to enjoy the view from.

We like staying at the new building when we think we'll enjoy walking into town (2 blocks) and going to Bill's Tavern for oyster burgers and draft root beer (for my son, full leaded stuff for me). Plus as we are at one end of the beach we end up getting a longer walk in and we go from one end to the other.

Have a look at www.seasprite.com

Edited: 27 April 2010, 22:24
3. Re: Really struggling to choose a hotel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 06:21