We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

We finally nailed down the critical parts of our end of july Oregon Coast trip this week and it looks like this (not showing the Night in Boise, and Night in Portland area on the way out)

Nights 1 & 2 - Cape Lookout Campground

Night 3 - Beverly Beach

Night 4 - Rock Creek Campground

Night 5 - Sunset Bay

The question is, best route back to SLC, Back up to Portland (overnight there) via 5 and across to 84, (essentially retace the route out) or would taking 126 to Bend (overnight there) and then 26 straight across to ID be a viable option? Milage and timewise it's about the same. Thanks

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

If it were me, I would take either hwy 42 out of Coos Bay or 38 out of Reedsport to Roseburg, then take hwy 138 to 97 and o/n in Bend. From Bend you have the option of taking hwy 126 or hwy 20, which would put you out on 1-84 at Ontario.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,745 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

Where are you trying to get home to? You can split Idaho and take 84 to 12 through WAlla Walla and up through Orofino and Lewiston on the Clear WaterRiver. It's sure beautiful through there.

I just saw, Utah. Sorry, But it's a great plan for next vacation.

We go that way to Montana. Missoula, Lolo Pass, Butte into Yellowstone.

Edited: 08 May 2010, 22:05
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

If i were to travel, I would travel back Hwy 42 to Roseburg and then Hwy 138 to Hwy 97 and up Norht to Bend. Then I would take Hwy 26 from Bend to Ontario... Hwy 20 ok- mostly sage brush country, while Hwy 20 crosses the beautiful Ochocco Mountains and John Day Valley and you might take a short detour to Painted hills National Monument and possibly Kam Wah Chung Museum in John Day.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

Sorry Hwy 20 is sage brush Country while Hwy 26 goes over the Ochoccos, etc.

5. Re: Trip is finally planned, but best route to get home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:17