We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach or Pacific City

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Cannon Beach or Pacific City

We are planning a mid July Oregon vacation. 2 nights on the coast, we are currently planning to stay at Ocean Lodge. We have enjoyed both previous trips to the Coast at Ocean Lodge and Overleaf Lodge. I noticed the Inn at Camp Kiwanda in Pacific City and we could save $250 for the 2 nights. We really just want to hear and see the ocean from our room and have access to walk along it. How different will it be than OL and how different is Pacific City from Cannon Beach area? Thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

If it is a weekend and really nice weather, both places will be crowded. If midweek or weather not ideal, Pacific City will be much less crowded than Cannon Beach. Also, there isn't a large downtown area of shops/restaurants so again that leads to a quieter atmosphere. I really like both areas, but obviously for different reasons:) From you post it sounds like PC would suit you just fine.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

Quite a bit different, actually. Inn at Cape Kiwanda is across the street from a large parking lot that serves both the beach and Pelican Pub & Brewery. Views are further detracted by a large hillside/dune, and you may not even hear the ocean. If that's not enough to sway you, cars are allowed on that section of the beach, in part because it's a popular spot for launching dories (which is kinda cool). And Pacific City itself has none of the feel of Cannon Beach's artsy-cutesy downtown.

On the plus side, despite the cars, the beach there is very nice, with that huge dune creating the boundary at the north; a dramatic sea/landscape. And Pelican makes some great beers. But, I don't know that there's a better setting than Overleaf's or a nicer beach town than Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

LOL Mtngrl.... I wonder if we've helped Macciatto......

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

LOL mistletoe:)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

With only two nights, I'd pick something closer to Portland (you don't give much information, I assume PDX is your airport). That means Cannon Beach and vicinity (key word, vicinity). You can drive from there to a number of interesting locations on the north coast.

If you don't mind the longer drive, via I-5 and west, or down the coast, I'd still choose Yachats and either Fireside or Overleaf, and for the former, request ocean FRONT rooms if available. You've been there, so if Cannon Beach area is new, that would be a good choice.

Edited: 15 May 2010, 17:30
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

I'd go with Cannon Beach. As you know, lots of restaurant choices, Bill's Tavern (enough said already IMO), nice, long, walkable beach and a room on the waterside.

You might consider the Seasprite accommodations. They have well done older cabins and studios next to the Stephanie and a brand new building near the Estuary (top floor, 2 bedroom Eagle's Nest is our fav). Excellent accommodation and well run.

As mentioned the Inn at CK is on the road (have looked at a room, years ago, and it was fine) but being roadside and staring at the pub (excellent spot BTW) just isn't the same as staying in Cannon Beach. Last time I was at the Pelican I ended up sleeping in my pop-top camper in the parking lot of the Pelican, which was lovely.

Had gone to Pacific City to have a look at the Cottages at Cape Kiwanda but never made it. They do rentals but I see the rate is $395 a night and up. Give them a call, you never know what the price might really be.

www.kiwandacottages.com/rentals/rentals-home

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

If you don't care about having high class, upscale lodging, you might look at Sunset Surf in Manzanita. The Budd building is newer. It's a quiet location, across a dead end quiet road from the beach with a fabulous view. It is *not* fancy, but the location is great :-)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

Good recommendation half-brit. If that isn't your bag then Coast Cabins is awesome. Japanese style homes on a great bit of property. The homes are lovely.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

We are in for 8 nights, 4 in PDX, 2 on Gorge, 2 on coast. The coast is the last 2 nights so we will have to be back in PDX by 11:30.

Thanks for the great ideas, everyones comments helped me decide we will stay with what we know and stay at Ocean Lodge. So much for savng money. We will scout out many of the areas y'all mentioned for the next trip.

10. Re: Cannon Beach or Pacific City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 06:37