We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

Hey there! We're coming into Portland for my sister's wedding in early August. After that wonderful event, my extended family is renting a house in Gearhart for a week. My wife, two boys (9&5) and I are thinking of taking a side trip down the coast and trying to see some Northern CA redwoods. A possiblity on the way back is to stop by Crater Lake. I'm thinking we'd do 3 nights in Gearhart, one night on the way to CA somewhere on the southern OR coast, one or two nights in Klamath or Crescent City and maybe one more with friends near Crater Lake on the way back up.

I guess what I'd like to know from you fine folks is: what to skip coming down the coast, and what to stop for? I've heard Yachats and south is some of the nicer stretches? I just don't want to stop at every overlook if there are more spectacular ones on the way. ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

Indeed, the short stretch from Yachats to Florence (~30 miles) is one of the nicer drives on hwy 101, but there are MANY others as well. Neha-Kah-Nie Mt south of Cannon Beach is one. Also, from Port Orford south to Brookings is VERY nice, especially all the sea stacks.

Since you are traveling south, take the time to hit as many scenic viewpoints as you can. Each is different. If you find some that don't strike your fancy, it'll only take a few minutes of your time to return to the hwy. Thing is, if you don't stop, you won't know what you've missed!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

"Thing is, if you don't stop, you won't know what you've missed!"

But Den, that could be an argument for not stopping at all. ;-)

Honestly though, Den is right. And so are you. If you stop at one of those scenic viewpoints, you'll feel compelled to stop at them all. And most times, you'll probably feel rewarded.

My $.02 is that there is much more to see and do along the coast than in the redwoods. So consider two or three nights on the coast, and one (or none) in Crescent City or Klamath. We did a loop similar to what you're planning several years back, and in one day, drove from Gold Beach south into northern CA, saw some redwoods, then back into OR on hwy 199, and spent the night in Ashland. Lotsa driving, but I don't remember feeling too rushed.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 23:55
Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

I agree with Dengay and Mistletoe, I've driven this route from the Manzanita area, about 25 miles south of Gearheart, to the redwoods in northern Cal. a few times on my way to visit family in the San Francisco area. Hwy 101 is a very scenic drive with world class vistas but it is mostly 2 lanes all along the coast, it does go through every little town and in August you will have the summer traffic, think motor homes, with very few passing lanes. Either allow time and kick back and enjoy the drive or you will have bookoo frustration along the way.

In the off seaon, leaving at 9 am we can drive to Brookings arriving about 6 pm with just the necessary stops, as it is summer season add 1 or 2 hours for traffic.

If you overnight at Bandon you can enjoy the drive, stop a few times for the views and let the kids stretch their legs. From Bandon it will be easy but yet a full day to drive south to the 199 junction through redwood groves and overnight in Rogue River or Ashland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

There are only two choices for lodging in the town of Klamath: the Ravenwood Motel and the Requa Inn. The former is a 1960's era motel alongside the main road. I've not stayed there, but it is well kept up and the rooms are each uniquely decorated.

The Requa is an old B&B, off the main 101 but right *on* a side road - I mean the front door is a few feet from the pavement. It has been all refurbished and friends who stayed there enjoyed it but it does attract a sort of "off beat" crowd.

The only eatery in town is the Subway. I am not kidding.

Do visit the drive thru tree in Klamath.

Crescent City has a lot to do and see, and Howland Hill Road should not be missed for a fantastic drive through the redwoods!

http://exploredelnorte.com/

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
567 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

Pulldownclaw

I agree with skipping Klamath. But if you are there Fri-Sun you can eat at the

Steelhead lodge on the northside of the Klamath 4 miles upriver. Fun place, and some of that "off beat" crowd might be found at the bar.

Have Fun

GP

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

This might be off topic but curious does "off beat" refer to a certain musical ineptitude, or perhaps to a somewhat aging counter culture crowd or even perhaps an even more aging "beat" generation crowd. Hmmm, just wondering, lol.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

Haha, according to my friends, a mix of the latter two, plus serious hikers and a general mix of people who would not be caught dead eating in "chain" restaurants . . .

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

Thanks so much for all of the info from you fine travelers. I will do some research and ask some more questions!

Also, I don't mind "off beat" or "funky" people, as long as it's kid friendly. I come from a funky family and proud of it!

9. Re: Help with what the highlights are traveling down the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:17