We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big trees

2 posts
Save Topic
Big trees

Are there any notable big (circumference) trees worth seeing along the coast? I

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big trees

Nothing to compare with the redwoods across the border in California, but you will find impressive old growth Douglas fir in Cape Perpetua and along the Valley and China Creek Loops at Washburne State Park just north of Heceta Head. Cape Perpetua also has the giant Sitka spruce...

Unfortunately, the big Sitka spruce just inland from Seaside, is no more.

For a listing of the biggest trees in Oregon, see

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big trees

Oswald West State Park, between Cannon Beach and Manzanita on the north coast has a large assortment of VERY big Sitka Spruce. Many exceed 15' in diameter.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Big trees

There is a big and unique "Octopus" tree right next to Cape Meares by Tillamook.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,503 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big trees

On the south coast, in Brookings, is what used to be billed as the "world's" largest Monterey Cypress. It now says "Oregon's" largest!

It's a huge tree right by Hwy 101.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big trees

I remember the news talking about a big tree in Rockaway:) yep I found the link:

6. Re: Big trees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 06:35