We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning trip

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning trip

I am planning a road trip with my boyfriend for about 10 days in mid-August from San Francisco up to Portland and back (round trip). For accommodations we want to do a mix of camping, and bed-and-breakfasts / hotels. For activities, a mix of good food and exploring towns or wineries, and hiking / kayaking / outdoors stuff.

I'm thinking ride North in-land (Bend, Crater lake, etc.), and then ride back South along the coast - is this the best direction, or should we go in reverse?

Also, I have never been west at all so I'm wondering - what are the places we MUST stop in Oregon while we are riding around?

Hood River, OR
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning trip

Wow, this is a big open ended question. Sounds like you might be on a motorcycle so your miles per day might be limited. Is this correct? If possible you could watch the weather and see what the weather on the Coast will be before you decide on a route. The weather on the Oregon coast changes all the time. The weather East of the Cascades during that time will be hot. My highlights for this trip would be Crater Lake, up to the Bend area, there is some great camping in the Deschutes National Forest. The small town of Sisters near Bend is a good one too. I would head over Mt Hood On Hwy 26 and go to Timberline Lodge. You could either head direct to Portland from there or Portland via Hood River and see that cool town. A night or two in Portland is a must and then off to the Coast. Check out Cannon Beach. The Stephanie Inn or surrounding Inns in Cannon are great. Newport is a nice town to the South and then Probably all the way down to Bandon on the South Oregon Coast for the next destination. Hope it helps, thats a great trip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning trip

Hello Beezer-

One quick word of advice, accomidations fill up quickly during peak season on the coast and possibly near Crater Lake so you need to jump on that. Also some hotels have 2 night minimums- especally cannon beach- so you may have to do some searching to find a hotel at this late of date.

Going north on the in-land area is good- traveling south on Hwy 101 allows for easier turns off the highway to the parks, etc which tend to be on the west side.

Crater Lake is a must destiation along with Bend/Cascade Lakes area, Columbia Gorge on the old highway/Mt. Hood/Timberline, Portland and traveling down the coast there are some great state parks along there- you also might like a dune buggy ride on the Oregon Dunes or take a jet boat ride on the Rogue River.

Lots of good food around- once you get a rough interary we can help you with those sorts of details.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning trip

another tip, since you have never been west, dont underestimate the distances and travel time- much of the roadways in Oregon are 2 lane(except the interstates) are you planning on spending any time in Calif. other than riding along the coast? You can do this trip in 10 days, but you will be traveling quite a bit each day-some time for exploring-but not alot. Assuming 2 days for plane travel that leaves 4 days for going up and 4 days for going back to SF.

Corona
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning trip

Bend would be a great stop on your trip. If you like Microbrewery's you have quite a few to choose from in downtown Bend. We have enjoyed hiking and biking and the outdoor's is absolutely beautiful to explore. We stayed at the Riverhouse Hotel and enjoyed a great dinner with great wine and service. The beds were a welcome comfort on a long roadtrip. Get a room on the river and enjoy the relaxing sounds! Good Luck on your planning!

5. Re: Help planning trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast