We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

We're planning trip to coast and Crater Lake, looking for any comments/suggestions/recommendations our our trip itinerary. We'll be camping in a 5th wheel (4 adults, + 3yr old)

Start day is Sept 14th (we're driving from Yellowstone and planning to overnight on the 13th at Emigrant Springs SP in eastern part of Oregon, then heading for Coast on 14th)

Plan to do biking, hiking, beaching, eat good seafood, etc. Any suggestions on things to do in the area(s) is appreciated.

Days 1-3 - Cape Lookout (assuming we get a spot... looking full but a few sites left I believe). Note we arrive day 1, so really about 2.5 days here.

Days 4-5 - Carl Washburne State Park

Days 6-9 - Harris Beach State Park - planning a daytrip down to Redwoods area in CA

Days 10-11 - Crater Lake

Day 12 - Head back East.

Again, any recommendations on activities, areas, places to hike/bike/eat/shop...I don't think we'll be able to deny the ladies shopping the entire time.. unfortunately :-) or if there are other places you'd recommend staying would be good info.

Level Contributor
36,954 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

HI! In the Cape Lookout area there is Tillamook, you could visit the Cheese Factory there and they also have a pretty cool Air Museum. Cape Lookout State park is a beautiful area, nearby is the 3 Capes Loop you may also want to schedule some time for. Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

A couple tips about the Cape Lookout area:

Most people hike out to the tip of Cape Lookout. This is very nice, but the trail can be very muddy depending on recent weather and tree roots dominate many parts of the trail.

There is another trail that starts at the same trail head that leads down to the beach just south of Cape Lookout. I think this is called Sand Beach and it is only accessible by hiking in. The hike is a little dull (mostly switchbacks) but, the beach is gorgeous and secluded and often much warmer than other beaches around there due to protection from the Cape.

I've never done it, but the campground sits at the beginning of a spit that forms Netarts Bay. Hiking books talk about hiking the spit and I've heard there are some interesting Native American ruins worth looking at.

A trip to Pacific City might be in order, this is where a second Cape is located, Cape Kiwanda, and if you hike to the top of this massive sand dune once or twice you can take a much deserved break at a great brew Pub right next door- the Pelican (http://www.pelicanbrewery.com/).

Closer to Cape Lookout, my two favorite restaurants would be Roseanna's in Oceanside (http://www.roseannascafe.com/) and the Schooner in Netarts (now with a fantastic outdoor deck.)

A lot of people like to go crabbing on Netarts bay (http://www.netartsbay.com/) then, if you don't catch anything, drive up to the working docks of Garibaldi to pick your victims.

Have fun.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

Just to clarify, Cape Lookout is one of the 3 capes in the scenic loop drive. Cape Kiwanda and Cape Meares are the other two. Some dynamite views from Cape Meares State Park, but you wouldn't want to be pulling your trailer up over that road.

I'm thinking you might want to add a night at Carl Washburne. Lots of good hiking - Cape Perpetua and Haceta Head - and sightseeing in the area, Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, and dune buggy rides.

Also wondering if you are aware of the jetboat trips up the Rogue River from Gold Beach.

Best bet for shopping is probably Tanger Outlets in Lincoln City. But, I'd try and talk the ladies into the waterfront area in Newport, where you could kill time at Rogue Ales. They'd like Bandon's downtown too (and there's not that much there to occupy too much of their time).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

>> but you wouldn't want to be pulling your trailer up over that road. <<

Absolutely *agree* with that! (We haul a 5th wheel also)

You also will NOT want to take the trailer to the Newport bayfront - unless you go down the hill at the east end. To get there, go east on Hwy 20 from 101, then turn right (south) at the first stoplight. Go down the hill, turn right, and you will see a large mostly empty gravel lot to your left toward the bay. Turn in and park there then walk to the busier section with shops and pubs :-)

None of the campgrounds you picked have ocean views, and I think the hookup sites at Harris Beach are rather near to the highway.

The rim road around Crater Lake is narrow and crumbling a bit on the edges. There is *adequate* room unless you meet another RV or large vehicle - then it's tight along some sections. The east side road is wider as I recall.

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

thanks for info. We'll actually have a 2nd vehicle (subaru) we'll generally use to get around, the truck and camper will really only do straight shots from one campground to the next.

@half-Brit, are there any you'd recommend with good views? From my looking so far, hadn't found anything that looked like it'd provide great views. We also generally don't mind being in more treed/private type site.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

Unfortunately, nearly all the Oegon State Parks are located inland from the ocean. Sometimes this is only a few hundred yards - sometimes more. Therefore they do not have ocean views. There are a few sites at Harris Beach that have views, but I'm pretty sure they do not have hookups. You're up on the hill there, so it's a longish walk down to the beach, but it's a quite pretty little sort of cove there.

Beachside SP south of Waldport is directly on the ocean. However, the bad part of it backs up to the busy Hwy 101. In some of the SP's it's only an "illusion" of privacy, since you're looking at the next site through small tree trunks, not screening bushes.

Be watchful of low branches and tight turns with your trailer as some of the parks are older and designed for smaller rigs.

Are you driving the car separately? If you attach it to the rear of the 5th wheel, you'll need to get a trip permit as you enter Oregon to be legal.

7. Re: Oregon Coast Trip plan - advice/comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:18