We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July vs. Oct

Webster, FL
2 posts
Save Topic
July vs. Oct

Mom and I only have free time in July and in Oct. for a trip to see my brother in Seattle. We plan a 3-4 day drive down the Oregon coast. What are the pros and cons of the different months? Thanks, Shan

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July vs. Oct

Hi femailrr2

If the only issue is time of year, go in early October. We go every year.

Have Fun

GP

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July vs. Oct

July is the beginning of High Season along the Oregon Coast. Hotels along the northern Oregon Coast sometimes require a 2 night minimum stay. October is uncrowded and oftentimes pleasant weather.

It's rarely really 'beach weather' on the Oregon Coast, it is more about seeing the spectacular coastline. I'd go with October.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July vs. Oct

Both months are fine for visiting, but being from Florida there is a good chance that you will get quite chilly here in October. We used to live in both FL and GA and when we came out to visit all our family here, we had been away long enough that we would get cold faster. So , just one thing to keep in mind that may or may not affect you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July vs. Oct

July: Busy, busy busy. Reliably good weather - usually. Hotels full. Chance of fog. Beach breezy.

October: Much less crowded. Usually good weather, greater chance of rain. Cooler, poss night frost later in month. Shorter days.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: July vs. Oct

Friends of mine in the construction industry plan their projects based on an assumption that the rains begin around the middle of October. And I think historical data supports them. So, while we often have nice weather well into October, there's a much higher chance that you'll get wet without having to dip your toes into the surf.

On the other hand, as others have said, October won't be nearly as busy as July, and rates will be lower.

6. Re: July vs. Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 07:52
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast