We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dunes and dune buggies

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
79 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
dunes and dune buggies

We are traveling to Oregon in early September - staying on the coast 5 of the 10 days and want to go to the best area for dunes and any recommendations for who is reputable for dune buggy rentals.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,192 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dunes and dune buggies

http://sanddunesfrontier.com/

http://www.sandland.com/

These are the two main places. I've been to Sand Dunes Frontier and taken guests on their jumbo dune buggy tours (20 passengers) and had wonderful experiences.

I strongly urge you to go this route, rather than trying to simply rent a buggy and head for the dunes. Not only is it easy to get lost in 60+ miles of dunes (especially if the fog rolls in and you can't tell whether you're headed for ocean or forest). but many are 200-300 ft high with precipitous dropoffs. There's also quick sand in places. This is not for buggy beginners.

We've already had one fatality this year and the summer just began.

You'll learn more and enjoy more going with a knowledgeable guide.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: dunes and dune buggies

What oregonpoppa said. ;-) And if you prefer something more exciting than a 20-passenger buggy, hire a driver and a 3-passenger "rail". Better than any amusement park ride anywhere.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dunes and dune buggies

I can't add anything to the above except to say that Florence is widely acknowledged as the "Gateway to the Dunes", as the northern section has the most facilities and open riding areas.

Winchester Bay does have the highest and most challenging dunes, many over 500". It goes w/o saying that there are more serious injuries and deaths in this area also! There are also fewer tour/riding options.

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
79 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dunes and dune buggies

Thanks - Just the information I was looking for. Always great help here on TA!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dunes and dune buggies

Are there any places to either rent dune buggies or go on a tour closer to Lincoln City?

Thanks much.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dunes and dune buggies

In a word, NO. There are sand dunes at Sand Lake Recreation Area about 20 miles SW of Tillamook, which is less than an hour from Lincoln City, but they are really nothing like the dunes found in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area which stretches 42 miles from Florence to North Bend.

Lincoln City to Florence takes about 2 hrs.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dunes and dune buggies

Thanks. I think it's too far to drive on this trip. I appreciate the information.

8. Re: dunes and dune buggies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:32