We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

Our trip is fast approaching--Sunday--and I would love to hear of suggestions for wineries. Are there many near Neskowin/Lincoln City, or within an hour that you would recommend? This is our first trip to Oregon.

I love a good red--Cabs, Merlots, and Syrah. Nice smooth finish. Any suggestions on particular wines?

Thanks to everyone on TA for all your help in my planning our trip!!

Terri

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

There really aren't any decent wineries near where you'll be, so your best bet is to head inland towards McMinnville, about an hour from Neskowin. And it's mostly pinot noir you'll be tasting around there. There are a few places in Carlton that pour some warmer weather varietals - notably Cana's Feast, Cliff Creek, and Troon - but I don't think any of them produce wines as good as you find in eastern WA.

If it fits, you might stop on your way down at Maryhill or any of a number of other wineries in the Columbia River Gorge around Hood River. But again, I don't think those places hold a candle to wineries closer to you.

Post back if you're willing to drive up to 1.5 hours from Neskowin, and are interested in tasting some of the best pinot noirs in the country (world?). If you prefer cabs, merlot, and syrah though, I'd suggest you bring wine with you. ;-)

Edited: 05 August 2010, 01:16
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

This is the choice on the central coast... www.dutchmanwinery.com/html/the_winery.html

It's far too cold to grow grapes here ;-)

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

I might make it to the Dutchman, just to have a little wine-tasting, possibly. Methinks I'll be bringing some Washington wine with me. ;)

So...how cold is cold? What kind of weather should I expect next week? Seems that the average is 65?? That was surprising to me, considering that a lot further north of you it's much warmer then that.

Thanks again!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

"That was surprising to me, considering that a lot further north of you it's much warmer then that."

Where further north? On the coast? Portland? Seattle?

Inland will be warmer, it's not on the ocean which averages in the mid 40s to mid 50s, generally.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 05:51
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

This summer has been very cool and gloomy on the coast. We've had days that have not reached 60. In July!

The beach is always cooler than even a mile or two inland, and usually breezy. Haven't had much wind this year, though. Dress in layers.

Grapes for wine need pretty hot summer weather, or at least a lot of *warm* sunshine. They'd probably drown in the winter here ;-)

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

40's and 50's for highs???

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

"40's and 50's for highs???"

voyaging was refering the Pacific Ocean temperatures which have EVERYTHING to do with our weather.

For the past two weeks, and this is somewhat location dependent, highs have been right at 60 with lows in the low to mid-50's. According to the weather guessers, this pattern is supposed to continue into next week.

I drove from Florence to Manzanita and back yesterday and I had my windshield wipers on the majority of the time both going and comming due to the marine layer pushing in off of the beach. NOT rain, but enough moisture to condense on a windshield. We only saw a few peeks of sun at different locations along the way.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

Guess I should pack more Fall gear then Summer. :/ Changes how I pictured our summer vacation: Sunny & warm!

Hopefully it gets warmer. Saw one forecast for 73 next Friday, towards the end of our trip (we leave for home Sunday, Aug 15th).

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

This is the only source to trust for a (somewhat) accurate weather forecast, and even then, they are really only accurate for up to 48 hrs in the future.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Cannon+Beach&state=OR&site=PQR&textField1=45.9229&textField2=-123.973&e=0

Just type in your city and state or zip code in the search near the top box and hit "GO" or enter.

EDIT: Sorry the link is not live, but if you copy and paste it works.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 20:45
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wineries--Your Favorites Near Central Oregon Coast

Thanks for the link--I think. ;)

Showing mostly cloudy for days! :( Ah well! We'll see!

Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast