We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2011 early June or early Aug??/

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
2011 early June or early Aug??/

I'm a teacher and teach summer school, so our vacations are limited to early June or early Aug. Next summer will be my husband's choice of the Oregon Coast. 10 days fly in/out of Portland. Want to spend 4-5 days on a beach, on the coast in a cabin/cottage with room for 2 adults and 1 teen. Full kitchen too. Most important is the beachfront location...price not too expensive for a teacher!!!

Looking at Oceanside, Manzanita, Newport, Cannon Beach,... But mostly want less hectic beach town vs a busy tourist town,. Any other options? I've only just started researching.

We live in the desert so even if it rains that will be a fun vacation for us, lol!

Looking at Portland to Newport area, with a side trip to Mt St Helens, then west to Astoria. We plan 2 nights in Portland, 1 night in Astoria, 5 nights on the coast, 1 night in wine country (McMinnville area???) 1 night with family in Hood River, 1 night near Portland airport and then depart.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

Hi CA, welcome to Oregon ;-)

The difference between early June and early August is twofold. June has 1) fewer people, and, 2) the chance of rain is much greater. But it won't be cold at all, and you won't get endless days of pouring rain.

Newport and CAnnon Beach are both hectic tourist towns. Newport is 10 times the size of Cannon Beach and does have a lot to do and see. Oceanside is kind of "isolated", well off 101 and is less busy. Same for Manzanita. Another option is Yachats, 24 miles south of Newport. Pretty quiet and very scenic.

All three are close enough to larger towns for grocery shopping, gas and so on. Yachats and Manzanita have more places to eat in town; Oceanside has only one restaurant I believe. Not sure if Manzanita has the type of lodging you're looking for.

Oceanside has ... http://www.oceanfrontcabins.com/

Yachats has... http://www.waysidelodge.com/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

Half-brit right on for weather. August will likely be nice and sunny ~60-70s and June will likely be cloudy/partly sunny/perhaps rain and 60s.

My family from AZ visited Oregon and their favoirte day was when it was raining and misty out- I was grumbling and they thought it was great! :)

My two cents on where to be, based onyour info is pick Manzanita- Cannon Beach is one of the priceiest places on the coast, Newport is large, but actually pretty nice for a large town. Oceanside doesnt have alot of ammenities, but they are close by and I prefer the Manzanita beach more than the Oceanside beach.

Also not sure if Manzanita has full kitchen lodging, but they do have quite a few places, so it might be out there...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm thinking early June - less people and different weather. We just went to Yellowstone during August peak season and won't do that again, lol! Plus after this start to the school year, I know I will need a vacation as soon as school gets out.

Also need ideas on Willamette Valley wineries and lodging that will take a teen. Maybe a farm stay??

I'll keep on researching and will post again!

I have found that if I start prepaying for things - the trip will actually happen. A little bit of money each month won't kill me!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

The other thing about early June is most of the kids are still in school until mid-June. You can still get lucky and get a few nice sunny day sin June.

Out of the locaitons mentioned, I would pick Manzanita. Cannon Beach area can be a bit pricy. And Oceanside is nice but ot much to do around there. And well Newport is a bit of a larger coastal town and doesn't have the same feel in terms of small town coast.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

Ok, got a tentative plan... for the first week or so in June 2011.

Fri - arrive Portland mid day - Downtown for dinner or?

Sat - Farmers Market at PSU, then downtown or to see gardens

Sun - Portland in morning, rent car and drive to Astoria (this is my choice, want to stay here) See what we can see

Mon - Visit area then drive south to Yachats. See Tillamook and Cannon Beach on the way. Stay at Wayside Lodge cottages. I love the look of these and the views!

Tue - Coast

Wed - Coast

Thu - Coast

Fri - To Wine Country areas. Maybe Corvallis, McMinnville or?

Sat - Winery/Vineyard visits.

Sun - Drive to Columbia River Gorge area. Stay ?

Mon - Depart mid day.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

My thought is are you really interested in visiting alot of wine country or just wine country and farm country? To me wine country is one day tops, but I'm not a wine person. Another good option of place to stay near 'wine country' is Silverton, but that is on the east side of the valley, but you could do some wine tastings and spend the night in Silverton- perhaps at the Oregon Garden Resort? The Oregon Garden is sort of unique- it has 'formal' gardens, but then also focuses on displaying the crops of the Wilamette Valley and has a nice natural area too. Then you could visit Silver Falls State Park-which is pretty nice-and a nice drive through Christmas tree country!!! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

sorry you could do wine tastings on your way back from the Coast and then spend the night in Silverton... my other post wasnt clear...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

Thanks for the info on Silverton, I will check that out. My husband is a foodie and, can we say a "winey", lol. I also have some time planned in Corvallis - college for the teen possibly.

Our 4 days on the coast on the beach are must do's everything else is just gravy! We live in the desert and anytime we can spend with water is wonderful (even if it falls from the sky, lol)

If we have to take a day out will decrease our "wine country" time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

Corvallis is a great town- I went there for school and loved it- big enough, but not too big to get into too much trouble! :)

OSU good for science and engineering in general...

Not sure how good the winery is but Tyee winery is a nice setting near Corvallis and has a fairly large stance of native oak savanah and wetland bottom preserve(200 acres)- very rare in the Willamette Valley since most of it was tilled up for agriculture.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2011 early June or early Aug??/

The Rose Festival Parade is June 11 next year, and there will be related events in/around Portland the week or two leading up to that. Usually a fun time to be here, but busy too, so you'll want to make hotel reservations early.

After Yachats, take hwy 34 from Waldport to Corvallis, then head north on 99W. You'll start seeing winery signs around Rickreall, increasing in number as you go north. The heart of wine country is the area in/around the triangle formed by McMinnville, Newberg, and Yamhill. McMenamin's Hotel Oregon would be a good compromise (for your teen) as a place to stay; uniquely Oregon. And McMinnville's a nice little college town in its own right. Silverton's nice too, but your husband would be driving 25+ miles from there to the nearest, bestest winery.

Hood River would make sense for your last night, and I've heard/read good things about the Best Western there. Your husband would be interested to know that there are a few wineries in that area too. Next day, it's about an hour from Hood River to PDX.

Edited: 30 August 2010, 17:10
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast